•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9 to 4.0

Tedstoffle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have a 1990 Bronco II and I am wanting to put a 4.0 explorer engine in to replace 2.9. What year model Explorers will work for simple bolt in and out exchange?

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you use a 4.0 from a explorer you got to swap out your dash with the explorer dash.

So, if you get the dash, engine bay wiring, engine, trans, under wiring for the dash (harness/fuse bow under dash), computer, and ECM. Then it will be a "Plug and play" swap. IMHO, a 4.0 swap from a ranger is easier. You don't have to swap out the dashes but you still got to swap out the wiring from engine bay and wiring under your dash so everything works correct;y, of course the computer trans and ECM also. You also want to get a early 4.0 so you don't have many changes the early 92 and below are easy to swap over.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Actually, I was able to re-pin an Explorer engine harness to work against a Ranger/BII dash harness. You have to change the white plug because the inserts are different, most of the wires go in the same spots, but you have to leave the wiring for the rear lights in the existing plug so they can be added to the Explorer harness.

The biggest difference I found is those dang rear lights are missing from the plug on the Explorer harness because the wiring for the rear lights and such run under the carpet, not out through the engine bay like on the Rangers.

It was time consuming and my fingers were a bit sore at the end, but worth it IMO since there are far more Explorer harnesses with the layout needed for the 83 to 92 body than there are Ranger harnesses.

RAMROD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 to 4.0 swap

OK guys . I have a projectI am about to begin . I have a1992 Ranger with a 2 .9 in it that I purchased from down south . I is in great condition. No rust at all. It is a 4x4 extra cab . It just don't have enough guts to pull my boat efficiently. So now the fun starts I purchased a 1994 Ranger extra cab 4x4 that is in really bad shape rustwise. Frame ,body really bad. But it runs and drives great. It has a 4.0 in it . they are both 5 speed manual tranny. I would like to know what it would entail to swap the 94 drive train into the 92. I would also like to know if a older manual transfer case will bolt up in place of the electronic one??? Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 7.5 rear end, dana 35 front
If it's a manual you won't need to swap the tranny. It'll bolt right up, however it is not as strong as a 4.0s tranny and is geared differently (1st on a 2.9 is 3.73, where a 4.0 is 3.40) but you should be able to squeeze a good amount of life out of it. If it's an auto I say get rid of it and put a manual in :D

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 7.5 rear end, dana 35 front
OK guys . I have a projectI am about to begin . I have a1992 Ranger with a 2 .9 in it that I purchased from down south . I is in great condition. No rust at all. It is a 4x4 extra cab . It just don't have enough guts to pull my boat efficiently. So now the fun starts I purchased a 1994 Ranger extra cab 4x4 that is in really bad shape rustwise. Frame ,body really bad. But it runs and drives great. It has a 4.0 in it . they are both 5 speed manual tranny. I would like to know what it would entail to swap the 94 drive train into the 92. I would also like to know if a older manual transfer case will bolt up in place of the electronic one??? Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.
Those are different gens so idk how that would affect wiring and such. The only thing I can answer on is that your manual shift transfer case will bolt up.

nikkav86@gmail.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I put a 92 4.0 in an 89 ranger that had a 2.9 originally will the wiring harness for the engine be the only one I need too swap and any other tips that could make this easier would be great