•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9L Reccuring Issues and Confusion

wadejake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hello, I've never posted here before but I love the form and have used you guys to diagnose and fix many issues before! I would like to start by thanking y'all for your immense knowledge. I now come with an issue that I have not yet seen and am very confused about.
I have a 1986(mid-year) BII XLT, 2.9L Manual, 4x4. I bought it almost a year ago now. It has almost 170K on it, however the previous owner (I am the third) had two other BIIs he took apart to keep this one in good shape. Most major things were done before I got a hold of it, clutch, suspension, brakes, ac swap to r34, blah blah blah. That's not what matters.

Long Story;
The thing sat all summer as I was away, came back and it drove great. Drove to college shortly after, did some fun four-wheeling and general use, ran great. Labor day came and I tried to drive it home, as I was going up a mountain pass, (I go to school in Gunnison CO), the thing did some funny hesitation under load. It felt as if it only ran on five or four cylinders for a little, (1-2 seconds) then back to normal. As I continued up the pass it got worse. I chose to turn around, as I didn't want to be stuck between passes, and driving the 40 minutes back to school, it drove smooth as ever. When I got back, I decided to open up the cap, clean the points, put new plug wires on as well as plugs. Well I was a dork and swapped the five and six wire on the distributor, giving me a few days worth of confusion trying to get it to run right. After realizing my mistake, I made the switch, it drove great for two days, then the hesitation/running off less than six cylinders began happening again. It went from being under load and in short intervals, to slightly longer, to way longer, to it would only run on five cylinders. I pulled the codes after finding the OBD1 port, and got code 18 a few times, SPOUT grounding issue, along with a few others. I only mention 18 because the others would change depending on when I read the codes, as in 18 was the only consistent one. Also replace ECC relay thing, get no change. I traced the wire through the entire loom to the computer, and found no connections to ground. For safety, I checked all my wires coming off of my TFI module. Everything came back good. So I said to hell with it, I'm just going to start from scratch and get a new distributor and fuel injectors incase it was a sticky one. And that's what I did, replacing the distributor and injectors in the college parking lot. I set the timing to 10* BTDC by turning the crank over by hand to 10* with the plugs out, and made sure the rotor was directly at point 1. Timing is set, new injectors, new distributor, new wires, new plugs. So I go to start it and it runs rough for a while, eventually smoothing out and idling correctly. I rev it, and after 2000 RMP, the tach freaks out and the engine shits itself. I had read that TFIs are extremely specific to your engine, and I noticed the one that came on the new distributor was a different color, so I changed it to one of the two old ones I had. (I bought one when I bought the car, and the other worked fine when I got it and when I took it off) Lo and behold, she runs great with the old TFI. Replaced TPS. Drive it almost 100 miles, trying to see how she's doing. I can tell the new injectors are not as good as the old ones, but one of the old ones was cracked when I took it out. New injectors have four small ports, unlike old that have single large port. Whatever, it's a little slower, fine, at least it's running well. Checked fuel pressure at the rail and I'm getting 36-38, not great but not bad. Picked up a fuel filter today to see if that was restricting flow, and right as I get back from the store, it starts doing the hesitation/not running on all six again. Shut it off, turned it on, still doing it. I have to keep my foot on the throttle or it will die. It cannot drive while running like that. I think it's not running on all six because there is extreme vibration in the engine. It revs the full RMP range, and when it does it back fires like crazy. No not a fuel issue because the new injectors I think actually have less flow, since I had less power while driving, but maybe no spark? But I replaced the distributor assembly, TFI, wires, plugs. What?

Short story;
BII runs good, go over MTN pass, under load feels like its running on not six cylinders for short periods of time. Replace wires and plugs, fixes issue for two days. Begins running on not six for longer and longer, until it is rare it runs on six. Run codes, get 18 consecutively. Replace ECC relay thing, get no change. Replace distributor, and injectors. Set timing manually with crank and rotor position. Runs good for 100 miles with NEW plugs, wires, distributor assembly, and injectors. New injectors have four small ports, unlike old that have single large port. Replaced TPS. Slightly less responsive, but runs very smooth and correctly. Getting 36-38 PSI of fuel at rail. Feels like the auto timing set itself correctly and the car is running well. Come back after drive, suddenly stops running on all six and have same issue prior to replacing everything. WTF.

Confusion sums up myself right now. I figured there is something wrong with the og pick-up assembly, thus why I was getting code 18 and bad running with occasional smooth running, thus why I got a new distributor assembly. However, now out of no-where the engine is running like doo doo again. Could my ECM be sending a bad signal and corrupting the pick-up assembly within the distributor? I have no idea, and few recourses. I am so beyond confused.

Fair warning; I have read so many of y'all's amazing informative threads, and this is most likely not a common issue. I mean things like 'did you check for spark, fuel pressure, timing,' all that jazz. I have read and tried mostly everything y'all start with. Maybe it's something simple but I doubt it. Please let me know what y'all think, any advice is appreciated.
Also, I am a college student, It's hard to justify spending the money on throwing parts at the thing, but if that's what I have to do then I do. I am also doing all of this work in the dorm parking lot, with basic tools, I'll be it a wide variety of tools, but no power and nothing super specialized. It's also going to get cold soon, real cold, CO winter in Gunnison is especially gnarly, so looking to try to diagnose and get this fixed somewhat soon.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Timing needs set with a timing light not by eye. If the spout is grounding out then there is a short between the ECM and distributor. You will loose all advance.

wadejake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Okay cool thanks for the info tw205. It's good to know there would be no advance if the SPOUT is grounding. I believe throughout this issue it has been advancing still.
I bought a timely light, since renting one seems to be not an option here, and set it to 10* BTDC. It's running a lot better now. Funny how when you use the right tool for job it works! I also replaced my coil with my extra, and saw no immediate change.
I was driving it around after, and it was doing really good, not or rarely misfiring like it has been. After a while of driving well, I came up to a hill and floored it, shortly after it began badly misfiring again. Got some damn loud backfires too. It continued to run like crap for a solid five six minutes down the road, then snapped back into running good. Drove back on the highway with as much power as I needed. So, the issue persists, but appears to be not as prominent as it used to be. Any ideas?
Thanks again for the info, it really helped!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Backfire would seem to indicate loss of spark. Fuel floods the system then spark returns and ignites the fuel. Do you get a gas smell or black smoke?

wadejake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
That was my thought, but I'm not getting any backfiring or black smoke when it's running well. When it does it's weird bad intermitted running, then it back fires but I'm not seeing any black smoke. It used to backfire all the time with the old fuel injectors, especially while in gear going downhill, ran so well though that I didn't think about it. I have been hyper aware of looking for fuel leaking out of the new injectors, haven't found any yet. I'm not getting a smell of gas or smoke when running normal.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Has the CEL came on? Have you tried to pull codes?

wadejake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
No CEL but I am going to pull codes this evening.

wadejake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I apologize in my response time, a lot has happened. Kept pulling codes and changing various sensors, ended up changing MAP and ECT. Will be replacing the O2 sensor later, when I have the proper tools for it. (I do not consider an adjustable wrench in the parking lot to be proper lol.) It started running well one day, and kept running well for a few. Then I went to lower the idle (1250 RMP constantly in my year of ownership). Disconnected battery, and did the procedure. Issue came back way worse after disconnecting battery, which made me think it was the computer since it hard resets when you disconnect the battery. Ended up doing some more research, and found two threads with the same issue, both of which were resolved by a new ECM. Turns out the capacitors only have an active life of around 15 years, and these ones are over 37.

So I bought a new ECM. Changed it today, drove it today for over an hour, and no issues whatsoever. This is the first part I have changed and seen it make an immediate and noticeable difference. Pulled codes, and still get 18c. (This code has me baffled.) Did KOER test, and get 42r, or running too rich. I will be replacing O2 sensor shortly to see if that makes any difference. But the new ECM is definitely making it run better, sounds smoother than before I was even having issues. No backfiring whatsoever, smooth idle right at 1000, good power throughout RMP range. I may try lowering the idle further, but I don't mind at the moment. Engine also runs slightly cooler, but that could be the idiot gauge being weird or the fall temps.

End of the story, after replacing around 270$ in good parts, finally tried the ECM, and that was the trick! Not what I expected, but interesting to learn. Just thankful I can drive home now :)... hopefully! (Knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc.)