•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9L Recurring Issues after replacing parts and major confusion.

wadejake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hello. I have never posted here before, but I love y'all's info so I'm giving it a shot!
I have a 1986(Midyear) BII XLT, 2.9L Manual, 4x4. In good shape with 170K miles. Ran good for the year prior until now.
I was driving over a mountain pass, and lost power, felt like I was running on four or five cylinders, but definitely not six. Drove back fine, replaced plug wires and plugs, ran good for two days. Began running more and more on what feels like five (Maybe just not auto timing from TFI and distributor?), until it only ran that way. I did take the codes, and got 18 consistently, after many different memory wipes and reads. Checked for SPOUT grounding anywhere and got nothing, also checked the rest of the TFI wires. Decided to start from scratch and replaced the following, this is also what I know is good; Distributor assembly, Injectors, Plugs, Wires, ECC, TPS, and TFI. I have double checked these with various testing methods and they all seem to be working. After replacing things, not all at once but one at a time, it ran good for about 100 miles. Then out of nowhere the issue came back, and not in short intervals this time, but all of a sudden. I know I am getting good fuel pressure at the rail, tested and got almost 40. When you rev it, she backfires bad.\, won't idle and runs really not smooth, so rough and powerless you cannot drive it. So yeah, that's my debacle.

Fair warning I have tried many tests and basic things that I know can easy disrupt these engines and have found no solution. I have an extra coil, so I'll throw that in and see if anything changes. You guys have always been my best recourse before for finding things out and I hope you can help me solve this.

Second warning, I am in college and on a college budget, which sucks. I don't want to throw parts at it, but if that's what needs to happen then well shit fine. I have a wide variety of basic tools, no power tools though and nothing too specialized. Doing everything in the dorm parking lot, which is just... ideal. Any help would be so appreciated, especially sooner than later, it's about to get real cold. Thank you!