•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9l timing questions!!!

ProjectRoach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Hi guys, I posted over on the ranger station with no luck, maybe you can help. So to give you background, over the last few weeks I went over my old 2.9 and did a rebuild, bearings, rings etc etc..when I went to install my timing chain and sprockets I realized I never took a picture of where they were before. Both Haynes and Chiltons have no material on how to actually set the crank and cam sprocket marks correctly. Which is extremely frustrating! I lined the two marks up and threw the engine together, it does run however but even at 10 degrees base timing it runs like absolute junk. It’s possible I messed up my timing elsewhere but my theory is I did not set the timing on the timing chain correctly. If you have any knowledge on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hi guys, I posted over on the ranger station with no luck, maybe you can help. So to give you background, over the last few weeks I went over my old 2.9 and did a rebuild, bearings, rings etc etc..when I went to install my timing chain and sprockets I realized I never took a picture of where they were before. Both Haynes and Chiltons have no material on how to actually set the crank and cam sprocket marks correctly. Which is extremely frustrating! I lined the two marks up and threw the engine together, it does run however but even at 10 degrees base timing it runs like absolute junk. It’s possible I messed up my timing elsewhere but my theory is I did not set the timing on the timing chain correctly. If you have any knowledge on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll take a stab at this since I just had my motor in and out of my truck too. Never fun to hear, but double check all your vacuum lines, connectors, etc. Even for a simple fuel injection setup these trucks are a little finicky. Did you hook up all the harness grounds? Didn't switch any of those connectors around (ask me how I know)? All connections tight? I googled this for a bit myself and couldn't find any information about lining up crank and cam in phase. If I come up with anything I'll update because this is important information IMO