•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

'21+ Bronco Overhead Molle Panel

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Difficulty: 5 out of 10

Time to install: A couple hours

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: How to mount a Rough Country overhead molle panel in your Bronco

Tools Needed:
- 3/8 socket set
- Bronco toolkit you got with your car
- Small flat screwdriver
- oscillating cutter (worked very well)
- Telescoping magnet
- Second set of hands occasionally to remove roof sections and maneuver large steel parts inside of delicate interior of your fairly new car.

Parts Needed:
- Overhead molle kit (I used this one https://www.roughcountry.com/product/configurable/bronco-modular-mounting-system-51123c)

Route any wiring you need to for anything you plan on mounting up there. I am mounting a GMRS radio up there so I routed power up there and an antenna cable) I also prewired it to add functional dome lights that actually do something down the road too. This is kind of an awkward thing, it isn't really part of adding the molle panel itself but chances are you will want to have something up there that at least needs electrical power.

No matter what you do start by removing the forward roof sections, front three pieces if 4dr, front two pieces of 2dr. If you have a 4dr it isn't a bad idea to have a friend help with the middle section (it is about $5k if you drop and break it)

Other things you will see in the background, our car has aftermarket grab handles and a Ford accessory mesh bimini top. Both work fine with the Molle panel if you are wondering (I was concerned with the bimini top)

1A. Using a 10mm socket remove two screws on that hold the trim panel above the door on whichever side you are running wiring up.

2A. Pull down on trim while rolling the topside down. It will pop off, it interlocks with the trim panel aft trim panel at the rear so don't go nuts getting it off.

3A. Pop off the corner trim, there is a bungie to contain the trim piece in the event the side curtain airbags pop, just let it dangle.

4A. Pop the beauty cap off the visor base and remove the one screw. For reasons I don't fully understand ours took a 9/32" socket. Nothing metric of mine fit, it may be a ".5" size my set doesn't have.

Then the visors just unhook.

5A, then just work around the window weatherstrip and lower kick panel.

The center trim just pulls down slightly.

Installation of the trim panels is the opposite of disassembly. Leave the center trip piece loose until after you get the molle panel installed.

Ok optional side quest complete.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Actually installing the molle panel.

1. Remove the roof sections if you haven't already. Again, get a friend if you have a four door, that center section can get awkward and is very expensive if it gets away from you and you drop it.

2. Pull down the center trim piece if you didn't before, there is a bit of it that sticks up you need to trim off with the oscillating cutter.

A stepladder is very handy for this too.

The directions say to sand it smooth, you can't see it with the bracket installed.

3. Get the biggest torx+ bit in your bronco toolkit and with an extension and ratchet remove the inboard bolt on each of the center front roof mounts.

Keep your magnet handy. If the bit falls off... you are fishing. If the bolt drops... you are fishing.

Install the front bracket and reuse the original two bolts.

4. Reset the upper windshield trim. I had to get the rubber gasket on the outside of the trim and then it would easily latch into place. In the above two pics I already have this gasket in place and the upper trim relatched.

5. Remove the front of the two bolts above the rear door opening (on 4dr, not sure of exact placement on 2dr) install rear brackets and reuse the original bolts.

6. Install the rear crossmember, note the sides at least on the RC kit cup up to almost form a basket of sorts. Get your helper to help stabilize it while you get it bolted in so you don't scratch anything.

7. Install the main front to back piece, again the sides go up.

Go ahead and reinstall your roof panesl if you so desire.

4dr note: Be tender when latching front latches for center roof panel. The fingers can snag on the bracket, you have to kind of let it find its center.

8+ Continue with whatever drew you to adding this thing in the first place. I mounted my GMRS up there with a retractable mic holder zip tied on the top and added a Ram mount for my GPS. An unsung feature of this thing is just as a basket to hold things, like sunglasses and whatnot. I ran wiring to added lighting too as the factory domelights are downright pathetic.

Last edited: