•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2wd explorer spindles on 4wd

95exploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
My tranny went out on my 95 explorer 2wd and I'm looking into buying a crashed explorer for parts. My exploder has 3inch lift spindles on the front and I was wondering if they will fit a 4wd? If not will the 4wd tranny fit mine? Also was thinking about swapping out the junk 5r55e for a c4. What would I need to do so?

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Your front lift spindles will not work on the front of a 4wd,

The 4wd tranny will not fit 2wd trucks.

it would be a waste of time and money to buy a wrecked 4X4 to fix your 2wd :(

2wd Automatic transmissions can be had stupid cheap from junk yards, also check out the explorer forums for people parting out trucks. 2wd transmissions are also VERY easy to replace since there is so little in the way.

95exploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Well the tranny in mine justgot rebuilt by a Ford dealership 38k ago and its already shot. If in park and I push the gas pedal far enough down it will go forward same with reverse. My nuetral is a drive gear. I have no second or third only 1st and o/d. I was thinking shift solenoid? Any thoughts

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
You can use the 2wd spindles on the 4wd but you have to pull the axle shafts out in the front. And you can use your 2wd transmission in a 95/96 Explorer but you won't have your t-case and you will need a 2wd computer from yours to swap to another 95, if you get a 96 then you need the 96 computer because the 95 is OBD1.5 where as the 96 is OBD2.

flamingx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Also was thinking about swapping out the junk 5r55e for a c4. What would I need to do so?
The only auto tranny that will fit to the 4.0OHV that I know of is the 5r55e being that the 4.0 is from Ford of Germany (totally differnt animal) so the easiest way to get a c4 to fit would be to slap a 5.0 into it.