•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

3.0 to 2.9 '87 Bronco II Conversion??

ryanj1022

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
how hard is it to install a rebuilt 3.0 into a '87 B II that had a stock 2.9? will it hook up to the transmission? motor mounts? electrical? fuel system?

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Trans won't fit, and pretty much all of the computer stuff, wiring harness, etc, will have to be changed out.

Those engines aren't related...The 2.9 became the 4.0. The 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 are one engine family. The 3.0 is on it's own. Then there are the 2.x Limas, which are another family. THey all use different bolt patterns, and different computers and wiring (to my knowledge).

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You need to replace the bell housing on the trans. All Ranger 3.0s had m5ods which are not removable. My Rangers have bellhousings and computers from Aerostars. The mounts from a 3.0 Ranger will work, The oil pan and pump have to come from a 3.0 Ranger. The 2.9 wiring harness will work but, a couple of wires need to be lengthened. The exhaust manifolds and crossover have to come from a 3.0 Ranger as well. Since the 3.0 Ranger cossover is not compatable with the 2.9s cats you will have to use an aftermarket cat. I made my own crossover pipe by cutting the two apart and welding it back together so that I could use the 2.9 cats.
Did I forget anything?
Ah! fuel system. You need a 3.0 Ranger fuel rail and the lines that go down to the fuel filter area.

Last edited: