•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

3.8L going into my BII, Need help?

STANG3O2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
I'm ready to start tearing into my BII. I have two motors to chose from. A 104K mile out of a T-bird or a 140K mile out of a cougar 3.8L. Will be looking for a C4 to rebuild to put behind it. My main question right now is what do I use for a Harness? Will some of a 5.0 explorer harnes work on the 3.8? Or will I have to custom make a harnes?

Cougar V6

T-bird V6 on the trailer after the trans blew. I picked this car up for the trans cheap. To put into the cougar well that didn't work!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'd say use the entire harness from the 3.8L... Why are you trying to use part of a 5.0 harness?

STANG3O2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
I was guessing that a 5.0 harness from an early explorer would work with the bII and in part the 3.8L. If they had the same sensors conections? Just a shot in the dark.

Using the harness, computer for the 3.8L. Do I use the stock bronco harness for the rest of the truck. Like running two harnesses in parallel. One for engine and one for the rest?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
If i were doing the swap I'd use the engine harness from the 3.8L... The Bronco harness will not work with the 3.8L, and neither would a 5.0L harness... If you're talking about using the engine bay harness and connecting it to everything else in the truck, you're going to have to do lots of research and custom work to make all your gauges and stuff work correctly... There is an article on it in the tech library, I know when I was planning on swapping a 4.0L in my BII I was going to use a 4.0L engine harness and re-pin it to work with the plug on the firewall...

Doing this swap there is not going to be an off the shelf harness you can use, it's going to be an amalgamation of the 3.8L, the BII, and some custom work...