•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

302 Trans question

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'm doing a 302 swap in my Bronco II and I want to keep a manual trans in it. What would be the best trans for me to go for? I would like to keep the hydraulic clutch setup (keeps adpting it easier). I have an '87 Bronco II 4x4.

Thanks

Ben

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Probably a ZF or a M5OD-R2 transmission from a late eighties or early nineties F150 would be the best. They are both overdrive transmission so they would be good on the highway. ZF is much more heavy duty but the R2 saves quite a bit of weight. You could swap up to a half ton transfer case at the same time to replace the weaker stock unit.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
The M5OD out of the 97-03 (maybe later??) are supposed to fit really nice. The 4.2 uses the same boltpattern as the SBF, just have to enlarge the holes.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
The M5OD out of the 97-03 (maybe later??) are supposed to fit really nice. The 4.2 uses the same boltpattern as the SBF, just have to enlarge the holes.
I thought those might work also, but I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything. I've heard the trannys behind the 97+ V6 F150 were the M5OD-R2 and were similar to the previous R2. Are there any other differences between the trans from 88-96 (300, 302, 351) and 97+ (4.2L V6) besides the hole size?

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
does the M50D-R2 have a granny gear? If it doesn't I might go towards the ZF...

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
No, the R2 does not have a granny first gear. But, you are correct, the ZF does.

ford1386

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
do the zf, just put one in and the granny first gear is awesome.................helps to have a 3" body lift tho

pyro4fun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
small
I have been studying for a 302 swap and here are the other compatible trans. I have found in my search's so far.

Borg Warner T5
Borg Warner T18 (ford trucks 1956-73)
Borg Warner T19 (ford trucks 1974-85)
NP435
M50DR2
ZF 5 speed with granny gear

I have yet to compare these so I'm not sure if thy are 4 or 5 speed's or if thy have a granny gear or not.

hope it helps :icon_thumby:

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
I have been studying for a 302 swap and here are the other compatible trans. I have found in my search's so far.

Borg Warner T5
Borg Warner T18 (ford trucks 1956-73)
Borg Warner T19 (ford trucks 1974-85)
NP435
M50DR2
ZF 5 speed with granny gear

I have yet to compare these so I'm not sure if thy are 4 or 5 speed's or if thy have a granny gear or not.

hope it helps :icon_thumby:
The T18, T19, and NP435 are all four speeds with granny low. However, they came with mechanical clutches, which would make it additional work to use with a hydraulic clutch (if it's possible, I'm not sure).

The T5 is a five speed, again with a mechanical clutch. To use this with a transfer case would require finding one from a Chevy S10, or at least adapting the output shaft to another T5; or you could run a divorced t-case setup; or find an T5 to t-case adapter that Advanced Adapters used to make.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
I have a NP3550 in my 1987 302 Ranger. It's a 5 speed with a low 1st gear and a hydraulic clutch. So far I like it. You might want to add it to your list.

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a NP3550 in my 1987 302 Ranger. It's a 5 speed with a low 1st gear and a hydraulic clutch. So far I like it. You might want to add it to your list.
You have my attention! What're they found in? Did you have to put a BL on to fit it? I'd like to keep the BL out of the equation as I'm getting it SAS'd also and don't want to be too top heavy....

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
I have to apologize. I'm not real familiar with all the acronyms. What's BL and SAS'd mean?

Here is some basic info on the trany http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv3550.htm

There are a few things you have to do to make this trany work. AA Adapters has all the parts. You need the plate to adapter this trany to the 302 bell housing. I used the stock transfer case so I had to buy another adapter that fit the trany to the transfer case. The cross member has to be modified as well. That's the part I'm getting ready to tackle in the next few weeks. I built a temporary bracket until I had time to fab something new and permanent.

The rear driveshaft had to be shortened and the front lengthened. The transfer case was close but fit around the gas tank. The nice thing about the trany is it's not much bigger vs. the stock trany which allowed it to fit fairly clean. Here are a few photos of the trany. The other bonuse is you can use a Hurst shift with this trany. I hope this helps.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=136
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=139

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have to apologize. I'm not real familiar with all the acronyms. What's BL and SAS'd mean?

There are a few things you have to do to make this trany work. AA Adapters has all the parts. You need the plate to adapter this trany to the 302 bell housing. I used the stock transfer case so I had to buy another adapter that fit the trany to the transfer case. The cross member has to be modified as well. That's the part I'm getting ready to tackle in the next few weeks. I built a temporary bracket until I had time to fab something new and permanent.

The rear driveshaft had to be shortened and the front lengthened. The transfer case was close but fit around the gas tank. The nice thing about the trany is it's not much bigger vs. the stock trany which allowed it to fit fairly clean. Here are a few photos of the trany. The other bonuse is you can use a Hurst shift with this trany. I hope this helps.
Sorry about that, I got too lazy to type the whole words :icon_twisted:

I'm how much did you have to shorten the rear driveshaft? I'm doing this in a Bronco II so I don't have a whole lotta length...LOL

Lucky for me I am doing a Bronco II so the gas tank isn't a problem.

And what trucks came stock with this trans? I'd think Jeep but not many used a granny gear. EDIT: Didn't see the first link, I'm damn surprised that jeep used this..

Thanks!

Ben

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
Thanks for helping out an old man with the acronyms. Now that I know what BL and SAS are I can say I did put in a 2" body lift. It made everything a little easier. I used the stock rear axle knowing at some point I'll probably have to replace it. I don't remember how much I had to cut off the rear shaft. I did the measurements and gave it to the driveshaft guys. Would you like for me to measure it? I could do that tomorrow if you would like?

Whatever transfer case you use will also determine the length of your drive shaft. The adapter I had to use to make the NP3550 trany work with the stock transfer case is what contributed to making the drive shafts a little shorter.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
The T18, T19, and NP435 are all four speeds with granny low. However, they came with mechanical clutches, which would make it additional work to use with a hydraulic clutch (if it's possible, I'm not sure).

The T5 is a five speed, again with a mechanical clutch. To use this with a transfer case would require finding one from a Chevy S10, or at least adapting the output shaft to another T5; or you could run a divorced t-case setup; or find an T5 to t-case adapter that Advanced Adapters used to make.
Incorrect. i know for a fact that the NP435(atleast out of an '87 F-150) has a hydraulic clutch setup. I have one :icon_cheers:

everything else is correct i do believe. i have i link i found while surfing the net one day about converting the T5 to 4x4...let me dig it up an ill post the info up... maybe someone can get some use out of it :icon_thumby:

EDIT:eek:k nevermind...i must have deleted the link i had. only thing i could find that i saved mentioned used a jeep T5output shaft and tailshaft with the D20 adapter. (all stock parts) only catch though is by doing that you need a SAS because you need the pass drop on the axle

Last edited:

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
np435 can have either hyd or cable clutch. either can be adapted to a b2.

for example, my np435 was in an Early Bronco, with a cable clutch. I have about half the parts to make it cable or hyd in my B2. kinda leaning toward cable since most of my stock hyd stuff is, well, stock '84

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Incorrect. i know for a fact that the NP435(atleast out of an '87 F-150) has a hydraulic clutch setup. I have one :icon_cheers:
Ok, I stand corrected. :dunno:

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Ok, I stand corrected. :dunno:
sorry man, you werent incorrect, i was just stating i knew firsthand there was a such thing as a NP435 in stock form with the hyd. setup. My apologies.

Anywho, if the OP or anyone wanted to try and find one:
Mid to late 80's F-Series Pickups with the 302 came equipped with a hyd. setup compared to the Mechanical setup.

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
I thought those might work also, but I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything. I've heard the trannys behind the 97+ V6 F150 were the M5OD-R2 and were similar to the previous R2. Are there any other differences between the trans from 88-96 (300, 302, 351) and 97+ (4.2L V6) besides the hole size?
The 4.2 R2 has the shifter in the correct location for a Ranger/BroncoII, it's farther to the rear than the V8 model