•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 Blocks

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
So, I am wanting to do the "swap out the 2.9 for the 4.0" in my Bronco II. I have the 5 spd tranny. My question is concerning block casting numbers for the early 4.0. It seems there is the 90TM and the 90TM-AB. One relates to manual trannies and the other to automatics. What the heck? I can understand perhaps different harmonic balancers if the two flywheels are different weighted. So, I can get a 4.0 from an automatic donor vehicle or not? Will the whole thing bolt up correctly-is there something about the crank that won't accept manual flywheel-clutch parts? I ask because every place I looked for 90-94 remanufactured engines the two engines are separated by manual or automatic transmission and then do give the different block casting numbers. Thanks, this is the first time I have ever encountered such.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
People routinely switch from autos to manuals and nobody changes blocks.The only real surprise is they run better when you switch EEC or computer.If you search there is a ton of stuff here on this.

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Thank you. What you said makes sense from what I have read. I just wanted to make sure.