•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 into 84 bII

yoyodyne

Reaction score
A few trans/transfer case questions. My truck has the toyo 5-speed, with the pilot bearing in the crank. Is the 91-94 Explorer 5-speed the same legnth, and will the stock b2 transfer case bolt up? If I end up getting an auto trans donor explorer, will the 4.0 motor accept the crank mounted pilot bearing for the Toyo 5-speed?

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
A few trans/transfer case questions. My truck has the toyo 5-speed, with the pilot bearing in the crank. Is the 91-94 Explorer 5-speed the same legnth, and will the stock b2 transfer case bolt up? If I end up getting an auto trans donor explorer, will the 4.0 motor accept the crank mounted pilot bearing for the Toyo 5-speed?
I have a '91 4.0 sitting on my garage floor that SEEMS to accept the pilot bearing in the end of the crank (I did not try to press it in, but it looks like it will go)

No, both transmissions are not the same length, so d-shaft mods will be necessary, as well as moving the tranny crossmember.

The t/case mounting flange did not change between those years.

Although it will bolt to the 4.0, the tk5 will likely have a short lived life behind the 4.0

yoyodyne

Reaction score
Hmm.. since,from what i have read on here, the M5od and the FM146 transmissions are the same lenght, could I just snag the driveshafts off of a later B2 that has the FM146 trans?

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yes you could use the '88+ Bronco II manual transmission drive shafts or the drive shafts off any automatic transmission Bronco II.

You do NOT want to use a stock Bronco II transmission behind 4.0; it will not handle the torque the 4.0 puts out.

yoyodyne

Reaction score
Cool..I just found a 94 manual trans Explorer listed locally for 500 bucks.. One other thing.. will the Explorer clutch master cylinder bolt into the B2, or will i have to do some sort of hybrid B2/explorer slave and master setup?

yoyodyne

Reaction score
Another question... will the transfer case shifter still bolt up with the explorer transmission?