•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 not running on cyl 2 and 6

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Hello all, I have a 88 bronco II that I just swapped in a 94 4.0, the truck has the complete wiring harness from the 94 explorer. I just cranked it up for the first time tonight and it’s not running on cyl 2 and 6. The engine was pulled about one year ago from a rolled explorer and has sat in a garage until I got it a few weeks ago. I am getting spark on 2 and 6, I pulled the plugs and they are not wet, and when I pull the plug wires while running no change in motor rpm at all. I checked the ohms and they are within specs. Is there a way to test the injector while it’s still on the motor or will I have to pull them to test? What are your thoughts on the injectors maybe stuck from sitting?
Thanks,
Louis

snoman6115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
would have to be injectors if ur gettin spark. try taking them out and soaking them in some injector cleaner or sumtin

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Vehicle
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
If the injectors are seized its probably due to bad dried up gas. which MAY come lose with some injector cleaner. But i doubt it. Since you need to have the fuel moving for the cleaner to do anything.

Honestly its not a hard job to get the intake and fuel rail off to get to the injectors.

I cannot remember the voltage the injectors use(could be 5 could be 12) but you can find that out by testing the voltage on a functioning one. Then testing for the same voltage on the one thats not working. If you have the voltage on the non functioning one then its probably seized and you need to pull it apart.

Last edited:

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Update: did compression test and 160.
swapped plug wire just to rule that out....made no difference

I guess I will grab 2 injectors from pull a part and swap them out to see if that is the problem.

Louis

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Why not move the two problem injectors to other cylinders first to confirm that's the problem?

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
I just got back from pull a part and I swapped #2 & #4 plugs, #2 still no change but while I had it running #6 decided to join the team, it has to be gummed up injectors and #6 just broke free. I will bolt the muffler on (so the ppeople nextdoor will be happy) and run up the RPM a bit and maybe #2 will join in the fun.

Louis

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Ok after running it a few times over the past 2 days it is now running on all 6, I think it was just clogged injectors from sitting for the last year. Now comes the fun part of pulling it out to take care of the oil pan gasket problem.
Thanks all,
Louis