•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 radiator swap question

1984broncoduce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
hey guys I'm putting a 4.0 radiator into my 84 bII with a 2.8, i was wondering how do i get the transcoler lines to fit, they rant quite the right size, does anyone know what size they are?, any help is greatly appreciated. thanks y'all

mauer448

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Im interested in this too I got an 88 ranger that im fairly certain my radiators clogged its temperamental though

mauer448

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
dug around on google and the forums and they've said that a 90-94 explorer 4.0 radiator should bolt up but you need the 4.0 lower rad hose

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You could always just run an external cooler.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Easiest way is to buy two pipe thread adapters of the correct size (don't ask me what it is.) That's what I did when I did the swap.

BTW, doing this in a 2.8 powered truck is fine, BUT if you have a 2.9 AND you care about fuel mileage at all, DO NOT SWAP A 4.0 RADIATOR. You gain a huge volume of coolant and your engine will always run really cool, thus your coolant temp sensor tells your ECM to use more fuel. Your mileage will take a huge dip into the crapper. In the winter your heater will take forever to warm up too.

^ Just from personal experience when I did the swap in my old Bronco II!

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Easiest way is to buy two pipe thread adapters of the correct size (don't ask me what it is.) That's what I did when I did the swap.

BTW, doing this in a 2.8 powered truck is fine, BUT if you have a 2.9 AND you care about fuel mileage at all, DO NOT SWAP A 4.0 RADIATOR. You gain a huge volume of coolant and your engine will always run really cool, thus your coolant temp sensor tells your ECM to use more fuel. Your mileage will take a huge dip into the crapper. In the winter your heater will take forever to warm up too.

^ Just from personal experience when I did the swap in my old Bronco II!
Unless it is Durasparked the same thing applies to a 2.8, they have a senser for the PCM in the thermostat housing as well.