•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 Swap in 86 B2 getting my donor engine Tom any tips before I go to the JY

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
So I think I have the basics covered
I've done this swap once before in a 89 b2 so it was a lil easier then this one is gonna be,
I have a 86 b2 made 10/85 2.9l efi
The donor is a 90 ranger 4.0l I'm not sure if it is auto or man trans I'm guessing auto, I know the harnesses are the same I had a auto harness out of a 91 auto explorer for my last swap..

I'm using the stock fm trans from the 85 along with the 2.9l flywheel and clutch and starter, until I can upgrade trans and clutch to 4.0

Now I plan on taking the entire harness, out of the ranger the engine harness dash harness all the way to the taillights, intake, fuse box radiator the works

I also need to take the fuel pump and all fuel lines out of the ranger correct??? Or will the stock 2.9l fuel pump system be sufficient??
I have some weird secondary fuel pump under my drivers seat frame rail, where the fuel filter was in my 89 so I'm a lil confused there

I know it's easier to take out the whole dash so I just might do that too

It's also this 2nd gen ranger has an immaculate front clip... I need two fenders due to rust and could use a new hood, so I might just be getting a the 2nd gen bronco front end swap as well

Everything is 50% off for their Labor Day sale!!!

157$ for a complete engine with a 50$ core

I'm hooping I can get everything I need for under 300$ :D

Happy Labor Day guys, keep the ideas coming.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Do I need the 2nd gen core support in front for the front clip conversion or will my 1st gen Coe support take the 2nd gen fenders??

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
So I spent three hrs at the pick n pull getting everything I could possibly need for my 4.0 swap, including the 2nd gen front end clip, hood fenders and big lights, and a nice crime explorer grill :D

I grabbed the dash cluster ECM every stickin piece of harness except the fuel pump harness above the tank and all the harness under the hood and frame rails, I left with a complete pick up bed full of parts with every thing I should need for under 400$ including the front clip with lights n grill

It was a happy Labor Day :D

I would like to do a complete build thread on this one and try to make it as thorough as I can for everyone that's looking to modifying their stock b2,

Where is the appropriate area of the forum to do this? I used to use my laptop to browse trs.com and never did quite figure out the forum setup, although I know the bronco ii an explorer specific is my favorite area. Now I'm using tapa talk on my iPhone which easees the siplicity, but I'm still oblivious to forum etiquette..

heres the new 4.0, being a pick n pull yard they don't know if the engines are good or not, but with a a4ld auto being behind it and the great condition of the truck I knew why it was in the yard, that weak link a4ld, I found papers in the glove box indicating new oil sensor oil pan gasket and valve cover/ intake gaskets so I figured she was well taken care of, and I ran into the owner of the ranger ext cab that worked there as I was leaving the yard, he said the engine ran great and the trans went out :D score!!!
heres the dash and a fender my allready clusterF@$&@$" garage now has more parts!!!!
heres the fender and hood, I've haven't been this excited to have more clutter in a while,
Unfortunately I can't rip into her until next Tuesday as I have a 5 day camping extravaganza ahead of me Thursday-mon
So the b2 is staying in its stock form for the time being

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
So tomorrow I will be ripping the old 2.9l out, like I said I am planning on doing another 4.0 swap write up,

And no one ever got back to me on forum etiquette should I post my build here? Or in engine swap forum??

Regardless ill have lots of pics and all that good stuff so stay tuned :D

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I would suspect that the "Your Garage" section, in whatever subsection you feel is most appropriate to the build intent, would be the way to go.