•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 swap question....

litlred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9lt
jason_paul stats in the tech library, 4.0 swap #1 "About the engine harness, my swap was from a 91 into a 90. I pulled all of the harness out of the engine compartment including the fuse box and lights harness. this allowed it to be a straight plug in swap without having to splice any wires. Everyone I talked to said I would have to splice wires. Well, my swap has 4,000 miles on it and everything works and NO wires where cut!"

I have swapped everything except my headlight harness from a 91 explorer into my 90 bronco ii. i held off on it because there are 2 connectors on each front corner where they go into the quarter panels that the b2 harness has. the explorer harness doesnt have these connecters, what do these wires go to? Did jason swap his dash too?

Thanks for any help.

fordrocks1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 L v6
Can you plz post picks soni can see how this looks and was it hard to do cuz I want to do this to my bronco

silverslug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
They run back through the fender to the door. Even if you have manual windows and locks there will be a harness for the speakers. I guess the sploders run that stuff through where the door hinges.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
They run back through the fender to the door. Even if you have manual windows and locks there will be a harness for the speakers. I guess the sploders run that stuff through where the door hinges.
That makes sense because my 86 didn't have those wires and the only speakers were in the dash.

litlred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9lt
ok, that made perfect sense, i dont need the door stuff right now so i figured id go ahead and swap the head light harness like jason_paul stated but that didnt work for me, my lights work, but my engine wont turn over from the key, I did the trick to see if the starter solenoid was working, and it is. the fuel pump comes on with the key in run so i thought id try to start it at the solenoid but it just turns over and never fires.... im thinking now i need to swap the other dash in from the explorer, any opinions? id rather not splice if i can help it.

litlred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9lt
Can you plz post picks soni can see how this looks and was it hard to do cuz I want to do this to my bronco
I dont know how to post pictures but if you want me to email you some i will. do you want pictures of the engine in the truck or the connecters i was talking about?

Its not hard to swap it, there is alot of stuff that goes into it, just make sure you do alot of research. If you have ever taken your engine and trans out then you should be fine remembering where everything goes and what order to do everything will save you alot of trouble. take lots of pictures... dont be like me and think you can remember everything, cause i promise you, you cant... speaking of pictures, does anyone have any pictures of your vac lines? lol thanks....

Last edited:

scubacy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Auto to manual trans?

I have an 89 B2 that I would like to do this swap too. Mine is a 5 speed and I was wondering if I have to find a 4.0 donor that is a manual (seem to be hard to find in explorers), or if I use an auto, will I have to replace the computer?
Was your an auto to auto swap?

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have an 89 B2 that I would like to do this swap too. Mine is a 5 speed and I was wondering if I have to find a 4.0 donor that is a manual (seem to be hard to find in explorers), or if I use an auto, will I have to replace the computer?
Was your an auto to auto swap?
It doesn't have to be from a manual or from an explorer, My 4.0 is from a '92 Ranger, You can use a motor from an auto truck but it would help to have a harness from a manual along with the computer.

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Vehicle
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
This might help: http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9135#9135
I swapped everything that would fit from a 92 Explorer into a 86 B2, including the steering column and box. All of the lights work, but had to make adapters for the headlights. The only wiring that is outside the cab now, (other than the engine compartment) goes to the transmission and the speed sensor on the rear end. I also swapped out the dash to make it easier to connect the harness. On 87 and older B2's, you will need to make clips for the front of the dash under the windshield to mount the dash, (the center ones were in the right place on my 86) as well as the dash mount on the passenger door pillar.

Ray

Last edited: