•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4.0 swap, what transmission?

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
I have an 87 Bronco II with a 2.9 with a 5 speed tranny. A buddy of mine is giving me a 4.0 with a C4 auto tranny out of an early 90's Ranger. So heres the question, Should I switch over to auto or stick with manual? If I stick with the manual can I use the stock tranny with the 4.0?(I have a feeling its not a good idea) If not what tranny should I be looking for and what can I find it in?

-Jester

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
your 2.9 trans would not hold out long behind the more powerful 4.0. i would swap in an M5OD out of a 90+ 4.0 truck...the M5OD is by far the strongest manual trans used in RBV's, and they are pretty easy to come by.

Will

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
He's giving you the 4.0 with the stock auto? Because the stock auto is the A4LD. If he's giving you a C4 with it,, then I would use the C4 because it is stronger than any manual that can be bolted to the 4.0--it doesn't have OD though.

I would keep the 5-speed that you have. Just downshift once you get about 3/4 load on the engine. That will keep the extra torque from abusing the tranny.

dave@threat

Reaction score
If its already set up with a C-4 run it! If its not still run it!! The C-4 will outlast any of the Ranger Autos. One of the most important thing to do to keep a C-4 alive is make sure whatever shifter you run has accurate shift points. There was talk that Steve Culhane of culhane racing transmissions will be making his own shifters for the C-4 in the future. Right now he modifies the winters/art carr shifters to work correctly and is getting tired of doing them but he still will do it if you ask him to. He also is now producing the bellhousings. They have thicker castings and added ribs for extra strength. If you need anything for that 4.0 get a hold of Culhane.