•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4" suspension lift

rusty7983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am getting ready to install. What issues will I have with driveshafts? Some places say it needs to be lenghtened. I have seen the additions for extending the front hoses. What all do you use exactly? Thanks

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just did this a couple days ago. I had already replaced my rear driveshaft with a standard length universal joint style shaft since the original CV type one went bad. No lengthening of the front or rear driveshafts was necessary for me. I used the rough country 4" lift with the optional rear leaf springs, since my leafs were also broken. No issues at all with the install.

I used a piece of flat steel on each side for the brake hoses to relocate them. Just drilled a hole in the steel to bolt it to the original hole in the frame, and then a lower hole to run the brake hoses to.

The whole deal took me probably eight hours in a well equipped shop, but that was fighting 24 years of Iowa rust. It's at the alignment shop now, and I know the guy is going to have a hell of a time getting the camber adjustment bushings freed up or replaced, but hey, that's why he makes the big bucks.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
The stock dual-CV rear driveshaft doesn't really like any lift at all (quick to fail if there's much angle on it... not that they last real long even at stock height lol).

Expect having to swap out the rear driveshaft (best to use a double-cardan U-joint type). Front driveshaft will be fine however.

rusty7983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cool. I too have the Rough Country. I am poor so we went with blocks. When I get the couple hundred bucks, I will get the springs. I replaced the driveshaft, its just a single no cardan shaft. With the double cardan it was too long. Hopefully it will go ok. Thanks all!!

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yeah, I would have went with blocks if my leafs weren't broken, but the front bushing eyes were split and separating from the mounts. My rear shaft isn't the double cardan type, and it fit fine. It's had driveline vibration ever since I put it on though, and it seems worse with the lift already. Probably will have to get a double cardan deal eventually, but it's OK for my B2 since it's really just a toy/spare car.

Also, my original springs were so worn out my lift ended up being about 6 inches! Bonus! Seriously, before the lift it looked like a 2wd with the wheels tucked up into the body.

Last edited:

rusty7983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Glad all worked well. I can't wait to get it done.