•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4wd problems AGAIN!!! HELP

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My first problem with my 88 bronco ii push button 4wd was the rubber bushing in the shift motor. That fixed it for a while then my shift control module went bad so I replaced it with one that I got from a junkyard. After that my 4wd worked fine for probably 6 months and all the sudden it doesn't work again. The module self tested good, then I took the shift motor off and the rubber bushing I replaced was kind of mashed so I replaced it. I hooked it all back up to see if it works and the motor goes into 4 high but the module clicks several times and the motor moves in between two positions in the 4 high area then finally goes back to 2 wheel. It is almost like it is not going into the perfect position or can't read what position it is in so after a while it goes back to 2 wheel. Please if anybody has any information to help me out let me know. I am trying everything before the last option I have of buying a new shift motor. Thanks

wadus

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere when the bushing goes bad in the motor it can go past the stop and get out of its normal position. Maybe you can take it apart again and make the motor run so it gets back to its normal position.

This thread has some info http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117573
Also there is a link in that thread to another forum that goes pretty indepth on fixing the shift motor.

Last edited:

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am pretty sure that is the problem but I can't figure out what the original position was. When it tries to go into 4 high it sits there and moves back and forth between two spots in the 4 high area then eventually goes back to 2 wheel.

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Should I just try a new motor and see what happens?

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yes I did and thank you for the feedback and help. I am sure that it is out of position and it is lost but I am not seeing how to figure out where the six prongs should be on the circuit board like when it is in 2 wheel?

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
There is a tech article on cleaning the shift motor, takes about 20 minutes. try that.

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The motor is clean. I finally got it working for a day and the next it is no longer going in to 4 wheel. I have heard about the shiftster. Do you have any picture of hole in your floor or how you did it that you could send me please?

Thanks for the replies!

newbski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I didn't cut a hole in my floor not a fan of that I just crawl under. It works flawlessly couldn't be happier with it.

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Better way would be to get a manual transfer case. Probably not that much higher than the shiftster. (i only spent $50 on mine with shifter.) It's just a 1350 in the 88. Manuals in them are WAY more common than the later ones.

Getting a shifter boot setup for it can be challenging though.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
That shiftster is basically doing the same thing a manual lever is doing. Pretty neat idea and if you don't use 4wd often, cheap way out. Most things in life are more reliable if just simpler from the start, IE: manual transfer case. Glad I have an '84 :)

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I will eventually put a manual transfer case on but I am in college right now and don't have the time and money to do that. Does anybody know how to get the six prong sensor plate on the shift motor to the correct position?

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I haven't messed with it before but apparently it can be aligned after installing it on the transfer case. Just eyeball the angle of the parts beforehand.

The transfer case has marks on it indicating which position it's in. Set it where you want it and use that as a guide to re-assemble the motor. Wherever it has a detent would be easiest I'd think.

I understand the time and money thing, really I do. (If I had enough of both my truck would be VERY different.) I just threw that out there as a possibility.

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks for the idea SenorNoob. But its the outside plate on the shift motor that has the six prongs on the inside that I think is out of alignment. It is just held on by the head of three screws. So the plate can be rotated into any position

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well my dad surprised me with a new shift motor to try out! I hooked it all up and it WORKED! I guess there was something wrong with the motor. But I did tear the original motor back a part and the rubber hose I used to replace the rubber stopper was already mashed pretty bad on one side. Maybe that was the problem but it had only been used no more than 10 times since I replaced the rubber stopper. Any ideas what else to replace it with that will hold its shape better?

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Maybe a small nut, like the ones that go on machine screws? Wouldn't have any give to it though.