•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

4WD quit working

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
We got some snow and ice down here today so I went to put my BII in 4Wd and nothing happened....no indicator light...nothing...it has always worked before.....any suggestions?

93STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Electronic or manual?

stevesb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9liter rebuilt w/new heads
You might have a blown fuse. If you don't have a bad fuse then it could be the controller or motor. Good luck.

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
4wd not working

I have the same year make model and color Bronco 2, I also have discovered the same problem. My 4wd worked several weeks ago, but would not come on yesterday. :icon_confused: If you have figured out the problem with yours, would you mind posting it? Also the tech library had a pretty detailed diagnosis to try out.

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Funny thing....mine started working again on its own! Makes me believe its an electrical issue.

dgndngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ya sweetwater sounds like it could be the ground

geoffthepoolguy, check your four wheel drive module, if thats ok, unbolt the motor on the trasfer case and put the case in 4wd manually. if that works then your motor is shot or its a bad ground. also check for power to the motor too

93STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Yeah best bet is to check all of your fuses first, since that's the easiest. Then check your module, your switch, then your motor. There's too much shit that can go wrong with these electronic ones, I can't wait to go manual :-/

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Its an epidemic.....mine suddenly works again too:yahoo: After cycling off and on several times it does become intermittent. I can hear the module clicking each time I press the 4wd button but it doesnt engage every time. My guess is with all the mystery electrical issues I am having this is most likely a bad ground. I'll wait for a warmer day and pull off the motor and check it out. Thanks, Geoff