•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

5.0 motor questions

dutinsss

Reaction score
these are probably going to be some dumb questions, but i'm not up on my ford motors like i should be haha. i have an '88 bronco II and i want to do a 5.0 swap. the key point in this is going to be simplicity, so i want a carborator, mechanical fuel pump, as little wiring as possible, etc. i have a few motors available from some friends but i need to know if any 5.0 is as good as any other 5.0. basically, can a mountaineer efi motor be converted to distributer, carb, mech fuel pump and all that easily and cheaply. most of the motors i find are out of mountaineers or explorers. thanks for any help!

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
All you need to do is replace the intake setup with a carbed intake and replace the cam sensor stub with a distributor that's got a steel cam gear to match the roller cam. I would also replace the stock rockers with 1.7 ratio full rollers. That'll free up about 15 more horses. The Explorer/Mountaineer's got a good cam, just needs a little help from some more lift. Best cam I've ever run with a carb for daily driving.

dutinsss

Reaction score
ok cool. what will i need to do for a mechanical fuel pump? and what all will i need besides a distributer for ignition?

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
For a mechanical fuel pump I think you have to go with an early ford van pump because they are upside down. A standard pump will have clearance issues. Honestly a decent electric pump is a better choice. They are simple to install and all you really would need is a regulator.

dutinsss

Reaction score
ok, i might go electric but i want to keep it as simple and easy to work on as possible. which i know electric pumps aren't too bad so i'll consider it.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
For a mechanical fuel pump I think you have to go with an early ford van pump because they are upside down. A standard pump will have clearance issues. Honestly a decent electric pump is a better choice. They are simple to install and all you really would need is a regulator.
exactly, and you might have to swap the timing covers for one with mech pump provisions.

dutinsss

Reaction score
so what i'm i going to need as for as ignition goes?

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
rebuilt duraspak dist. for an 85 5.0 mustang with 4bbl (not CFI)... it will have the correct gear and plug right upto a blue grommet duraspark module and the correct coil.

dizzy (parts store)
ignition module (parts store)
coil (parts store)
duraspark harness (junk yard)

that should take care of it... the new parts shouldnt come to more than$100.00 if you have an old dizzy for a core (most part guys wont know the difference... take any SBF dizzy for a core). :icon_thumby:

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
exactly, and you might have to swap the timing covers for one with mech pump provisions.
Not ""might" here in this case. To run a mech fuel pump you WILL have to swap the timing cover, plus the rest of the front end accessory drive setup. It will be much simpler to run something like a Mr.Gasket 12D electric pump to feed the carb. Two wire hookup (one hot, one ground) wired into the ignition hot wire. And run that thru the factory impact kill switch for safety. No regulator needed for this pump, it's a 4-7 psi with a 30 gal/hr flow. Plenty to run three carbs at WOT.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
DUI (Davis unified ignition). It is a GM HEI based ignition system that is made to fit a 302. All you need is ignition power.
A lot of people don't like the idea of a chevy distributor on their Ford though.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Not ""might" here in this case. To run a mech fuel pump you WILL have to swap the timing cover, plus the rest of the front end accessory drive setup. It will be much simpler to run something like a Mr.Gasket 12D electric pump to feed the carb. Two wire hookup (one hot, one ground) wired into the ignition hot wire. And run that thru the factory impact kill switch for safety. No regulator needed for this pump, it's a 4-7 psi with a 30 gal/hr flow. Plenty to run three carbs at WOT.
x's 2... the explorer acces. drive set is shorter than earlier models, giving more room for cooling fans, so you want to keep it, if you are not determined to have a mech pump. the Mr.G pump will work fine... one thing i would add is, USE A RELAY! for sure.

dutinsss

Reaction score
where would i find info on the DUI setup? i'm down for anything that is cheap and simple. now that i know i'd have to swap my whole accessory drive, i think i'll look into that electric pump.

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
where would i find info on the DUI setup? i'm down for anything that is cheap and simple. now that i know i'd have to swap my whole accessory drive, i think i'll look into that electric pump.
Try searching Ebay for "Ford HEI". That's how I found mine. :yahoo:

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
he never said it was cheap... ford duraspark is cheaper, plus you can get parts at any parts house... good luck finding DUI parts at a local autozone (in stock).

i guess i am biased... i hate bankrupt automakers (chevy)! :icon_rofl:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size

dutinsss

Reaction score
if you add up all the parts for a duraspark system and compare it to that proform in the link, you don't save much by going duraspark. so pretty much, all i do it install that proform distributer, run a power wire to it, and get plug wires. then run the wire from the distributor to a tach? seems too easy haha. and is there a differenct between the proform in the link, and the dui besides price?

Last edited:

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No, the DUI isn't cheap But, It is easy.
When I did my 351 I just plugged in the duraspark harness. The '84 Ranger came wired for it. I also have a bunch of harnesses and boxes laying around. Someone trying to find all the parts to wire in a duraspark system would be hard pressed to find the harness. Wiring in the duraspark is not exactly easy for most people.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddui.htm

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The proform is basically the same thing, just cheaper. DUI did it first.
Also, It is a chevy HEI. If any part were to fail, You can buy a part that will replace it at ANY parts store. The chevy replacement parts just aren't as good.

Last edited:

dutinsss

Reaction score
oh ok. yea, i'm finding them for under $150 just googling them. i think i'll definately go for that over rounding up duraspark parts. i don't mind using gm parts, my daily is a camaro haha

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
dang those cheap a$$ chevy parts! :icon_rofl: