•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

5.0 motor questions

dutinsss

Reaction score
ok, i'm going to explain what i want to do and see if it sounds right, so here it goes! (i've never done this before, so bear with me)

'98 mountaineer 5.0 with a carb and carb intake(haven't decided specifics)

for my fuel system i'll have an electric fuel pump. still don't know exactly how to wire it.

for starting, i will have a wire from the battery, to a button in the cab, to the starter solenoid, then a wire to the starter.

i'd like to use a 1-wire alternator so i'll just need to mount the alternator and run a wire from it, to the battery. if the motor comes with an alternator i'll use it to save money.

i'll use the hei ignition system, so i'll just need a wire from the battery, to the distributer.

i guess i'll find an explorer radiator and mount an electric fan to it for cooling.

if there's anything i'm missing or getting wrong, please let me know. thanks.

i do know one thing i haven't even looked into is power steering.

Last edited:

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
i hate to help a guy using chevy stuff, but... here is a link to a pretty good wiring diagram for a 12v relay...
http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/elec8/backup-1.htm

just remember,

30 = 12 hot from battery (fuse it)
86 = ground
85 = switched 12 v (trigger)
87, 87a = normally open and normally closed cant remember which is which, but this is the one which goes to the relayed device fuel pump, cooling fan ect.

dutinsss

Reaction score
also, will any 302 intake manifold, heads, starter, etc fit on any 302 motor? just wondering because i notice a starter for a mountaineer is 3x the price of one for a fox body mustang and so on.

Last edited:

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
289/302 intake and heads will work on any 289/302. the starter actually mounts to the tranmission, making the difference... just make sure the starter will work with the trans you are using.

the reason i mentioned the 289 is, i used a performer 289 for a long time on an old mustang i had... in case you came accross one, didnt want you to pass on it, 'cause it doesnt say "302".

dutinsss

Reaction score
ok, just making sure. hey, thanks a lot for the help so far. i'm going to try and get that motor and start rounding up parts for the swap. also, i heard mustang mounts will work. what year mustang do i need to get them out of?

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
ok, just making sure. hey, thanks a lot for the help so far. i'm going to try and get that motor and start rounding up parts for the swap. also, i heard mustang mounts will work. what year mustang do i need to get them out of?
i used an old set of mounts dont know what year they were, but it was the kind where the rubber part bolted to the block bracket, i removed the rubber part, used the bracket with some aluminum stock and made solid mounts! :headbang:

before i made those, i started off with late 80's early 90's convertable mounts though, they were made a little shorter than std mounts (center of gravity thing for the 'vert).

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
oh ok. yea, i'm finding them for under $150 just googling them. i think i'll definately go for that over rounding up duraspark parts. i don't mind using gm parts, my daily is a camaro haha
Before you commit to a DUI or other similar HEI distributor, first rustle up a few pics of one actaully installed in the engine. The effing thing is HUGE, completely blocking your view of the carb. And it'll take fewer aircleaner options to clear it. Just me, but the thing just plain looks retarded on a 302.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Before you commit to a DUI or other similar HEI distributor, first rustle up a few pics of one actaully installed in the engine. The effing thing is HUGE, completely blocking your view of the carb. And it'll take fewer aircleaner options to clear it. Just me, but the thing just plain looks retarded on a 302.
thank you! it would be like putting a Q-jet carb on a 302! :stirthepot:

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok, i'm going to explain what i want to do and see if it sounds right, so here it goes! (i've never done this before, so bear with me)

'98 mountaineer 5.0 with a carb and carb intake(haven't decided specifics)

for my fuel system i'll have an electric fuel pump. still don't know exactly how to wire it.

for starting, i will have a wire from the battery, to a button in the cab, to the starter solenoid, then a wire to the starter.

i'd like to use a 1-wire alternator so i'll just need to mount the alternator and run a wire from it, to the battery. if the motor comes with an alternator i'll use it to save money.

i'll use the hei ignition system, so i'll just need a wire from the battery, to the distributer.

i guess i'll find an explorer radiator and mount an electric fan to it for cooling.

if there's anything i'm missing or getting wrong, please let me know. thanks.

i do know one thing i haven't even looked into is power steering.
Your BII comes from the factory wired for an alternator and starter, None of that needs to change just because you are putting in a different motor. You would only be making things harder for yourself. You could even keep the factory gauges if you wanted, easy compared to the alternative.
The problems you need to worry about are the exhaust and cooling systems.

Last edited:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
i hate to help a guy using chevy stuff, but... here is a link to a pretty good wiring diagram for a 12v relay...
http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/elec8/backup-1.htm

just remember,

30 = 12 hot from battery (fuse it)
86 = ground
85 = switched 12 v (trigger)
87, 87a = normally open and normally closed cant remember which is which, but this is the one which goes to the relayed device fuel pump, cooling fan ect.
Wire the pump to 87. 87A is open when the relay is triggered on 85.
A friend of mine put a proform on his 302 and it worked really nicely. I did things a little differently with my truck. I used a DuraSpark distributor, a GM HEI 4 pin module and a Ford E Core coil and it works well too. You just have to do a little wiring which is simple.

Last edited:

dutinsss

Reaction score
well i got my motor today. it came out of a '94-'95 mustang so it's already got the dual sump pan. he said it was bored to a 306 and had a forged rotating assembly. i have to get the heads cleaned up and i'm going to try and take the shortblock apart to rehone the cylinders because they have some surface rust from sitting out. it's not a stock cam, but i'm not sure on the specs for it. the funny thing was i ran this mustang in my camaro about a year ago before he pulled the motor. hopefully i'll be picking up a carb manifold and a holley 600 today.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Remember, The HO and the 302(SO) use two different firing orders. If you use that cam and it is an HO cam, you will have to use the HO firing order. I prefer the 351 firing order (HO).

Last edited:

dutinsss

Reaction score
ok, i'll have to ask him about that. thanks, i never would have thought about that!