•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

5.0 swap question

crazymind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mercury
I've been reading around and the most I can find is a ranger 5.0 swap. My question since is an option is if it would be a fairly strait forward task to swap a 5.0 in a 99 mercury mountaineer, or would it be a waste of effort and just add a supper charger to the 4.0. I would like to swap the 5.0 if its not too much harder than the swap in the ranger

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Should be a fairly straight swap, as that gen "X" was available with a V8. Just find the right parts, and have at! Oh, and welcome to TRS!

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
With the newer gen 4.0's, its going to be a toss up on the options you want to go with. With the costs involved of the v8 swap (Engine, wiring, adapters etc. etc.) your going to be slipping into the SuperCharger cost range, however with far more fabrication/wiring involved. After all that, you will have less HP than a SC'd 4.0. If you can afford a SC kit, id go that route. Bolt on, and proven power on a reliable engine.

crazymind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mercury
O hmmm well in that case will the tranny hold up to the power and which supper charger would be better for the 4.0? Thank you all for the welcomes a very good forum you have lots of information :)