•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

84 bII with c5 bad shiftiness

acorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
First of all, I ASSUME it's a C5, since the BII is an 84, and it's not an O/D xmission... but it looks like someone might have put it in before i bought the bronco. At any rate here are my problems:

When taking off in D, it starts in 1st, but will not shift up to 2nd gear until around 35 mph - then will not shift up into 3rd until around 50 mph.

Coming down from 3rd (while in D), it downshifts to 2nd at about 40 mph, and does not downshift to 1st at all (except on rare occasions when my foot is actually still on the gas, as when stopping at an intersection when going up a steep hill).

I can make it shift to 2nd manually, but then have to put it back in D, and accellerate to 50 to get to 3rd.

I can make it downshift to 1st manually, if i'm going slow enough.

All shifts are smooth and solid, with no slippage apparent in any gear. Fluid looks nice and clean, and doesn't smell funny.

Those are the shifting problems. The other transmission/xfer case problem is that I cannot get it to go into 4L at all. I don't really feel the detent at 4H, but it does go in 4H, and the hubs lock. At the 4L position, the lever doesn't feel like it has a place to "live"...

Incidentally, and possibly related, the engine idles very rough if at all, after warming up.

I did suspect vacuum problems and found a hose off under the transfer case - which i put back on... This helped the idle a LITTLE, but that's it as far as I could tell...

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated - especially since i'm also getting 9MPG and gas is well over 3 bucks now hehehe..

Thanks!

--acorn

acorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I've been reading thru some other posts, and it looks like I should start with the modulator and/or vacuum hoses going to it. Plus I guess i better do a more thourough inspection of the whole vacuum system.....

--arthur

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Check vacuum modulator and hoses and lines associated with it. If the hose or line or even the vacuum port on intake is blocked it will have late shifts and firm shifts as well, also check kickdown linkage to be sure its not stuck in like half throttle position.

acorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks for the reply, bruce... I spent some time yesterday checking things out, and found a vacuum hose off... But it's not one going to the modulator or anything. In fact I can't find where in the world it came from. It attaches to a port on the intake that several other hoses attach to, behind and to the left of the carb (facing rearwards). It has a small metal tube sticking out like it was supposed to be stuck in the carb somewhere, but I can't find where :p Got dark on me last night, gonna look again this evening...

Any ideas on the Transfer case (4L) problem?

Thanks again!

--arthur