•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

84 Bronco II Auto floor shifter question

ems1657

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Have an 84 Bronco II, C5 automatic transmission with T handle floor shift. The T handle came off recently and I attempted to reinstall it with no luck. The T handle is forced up when the thumb release button is pressed. The thumb release pushes sideways into the handle which is supposed to move the detent lever to allow the transmission to shift from park to a drive gear. It appears there is a part missing (bushing) from the T handle that would allow the detent release cable to travel sideways to prevent it from pushing up on the handle. Does anyone have a diagram or know if there is in fact a part that fits on the top of the shift lever that the T handle engages? Thank you!

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
It's been a long time since I've fooled with one of those... and never in a BII.

I'll have a look and see if there is anything in my service manual a bit later today.

ems1657

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
It's been a long time since I've fooled with one of those... and never in a BII.

I'll have a look and see if there is anything in my service manual a bit later today.
Thanks. The service manual I have says to use a rubber hammer with enough force to seat the handle while in the "D2" gear. It doesn't show a bushing of any type in the exploded drawing. I followed the directions last night and couldn't get it to work. Studying the shift lever and T handle, I have to think there is some type of bushing there. I wasn't sure if anyone here has had dealt with this problem and would like to share their solution.