•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

84 model year Front Brake hose - 2 styles

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
OK, so I need to replace my 84 (build date 6/83) Bronco II front Brake Hoses. (frame to caliper part). I'm seeing 2 different models with 2 different time splits.
before/after 2/83 and before/after 8/83. It appears that calipers are the same, so I'm guessing it's a different bend to the hard line section or the frame side fitting is a different thread (can someone confirm?).

Nobody has these in stock, so I'll have to order them. I'm trying to make sure that I order the correct hoses (left and right side). I just have a 2inch lift (coils in front and add-a-leaf and larger block in the back) so stock length should be fine.

My question is, can anyone confirm what the correct date split is and, even better, someone tell me a brand and model number that they know would work on a 6/83 build date?

TIA, Bryce

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Some manufacturers list two hoses, some do not. So I would assume it's a small difference. I have an '84 as well, but still have the stock hoses. Wagner is a company that lists 2 hoses and their parts are good pieces in general. If you go to Rock Auto, you will see a lot of hoses choices. Their shipping is fast, I buy a lot from them. Sometimes part are listed wrong. You have to know enough to get through the bad info. Since all 84s were 4WD, that may be the confusion. Many are listed for 4 WD only. Well there were no 2WD 84 Bronco IIs, so the parts are listed wrong. There were also no Bronco II built much earlier than yours, so I believe the 2/83 really applies to Rangers, but that is a guess.

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
Some manufacturers list two hoses, some do not. So I would assume it's a small difference. I have an '84 as well, but still have the stock hoses. Wagner is a company that lists 2 hoses and their parts are good pieces in general. If you go to Rock Auto, you will see a lot of hoses choices. Their shipping is fast, I buy a lot from them. Sometimes part are listed wrong. You have to know enough to get through the bad info. Since all 84s were 4WD, that may be the confusion. Many are listed for 4 WD only. Well there were no 2WD 84 Bronco IIs, so the parts are listed wrong. There were also no Bronco II built much earlier than yours, so I believe the 2/83 really applies to Rangers, but that is a guess.
Thanks Pete. Rock Auto was where I was shopping... I think you're correct about them mixing in Ranger stuff with the BII stuff. It used to be so easy to get parts for this thing, and now except for really common items, it's ll special order at the local parts stores. I think I'll shoot for the Wagner brand that list the later date and cross my fingers.. worse case, I'll have to rig them a little or return them.

Ya, mine's an early one... soon to be 30yo. I often wonder if I beat the snot out of one of the original ones off the line!

Bryce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'84
Vehicle
Ford
Well.. they had the hoses pretty cheap, so I ordered both kinds.
I'll post up on which I end up using, then I'll send the others back. I just don't want to get into the project and then have an "Oh Crap!" moment when I find out that I'll have to wait until another set are shipped. the little bit of extra cost to ship one set back will be worth the convenience. Picked up a master cylinder too.

I'm going through the entire brake system on the BII. my daughter wants to start driving it, and I figure the best thing to do is make sure it's safe and making sure it stops is part one of that.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Here's my '84. I have a V8 in it as well as going for the "older" look :)