•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

84'tranny swap

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Vehicle
ford's
the bronco has been parked due to tranny problems,it is in southern cali while im in northern cali heading out for deployment,so im trying to do all my homework so when i go back home from deployment i can get this tranny situated in time for me to drive it back to norcal.

not much info on the tranny,im told its a toyot 4speed.i literally spent my whole 8 hour shift looking into this tranny and swaps.

im considering an m50d,but just to clarify,i am going to need everything including flywheel clutch and slave,and to be able to retain factory speedometer i must get a m50d out of a vehicle 94' and older correct?also curious it has been said by someone else that if i snag an A4LD front driveshaft it will bolt up along with this setup which just leaves my to get the original drive shaft shortened?

next is the toyot tranny,ive seen rebuild kits for around 150 but bronco graveyard no longer list's the kit.if they can still be had, how hard is it to rebuild this tranny.it will be my first attempt at a manual trans rebuild,info seems very scarce,thanks for reading.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
well all i know about is the rebuild part as i was looking to rebuild mine, all the guys on here said that it's not to hard if you know anything about wrenching but for your first few times doing a rebuild it will be time consuming so you don't mess anything up but have heard it's alot harder to rebuild a auto vs a standard since there is less in the tranny

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Vehicle
ford's
any idea if there is specific gaps between bearings,or better yet a instruction manual,ive been searching nonstop and rebuild info is scarce

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Rebuilding the trans you currently have in the truck is a waste of time...find a good M5OD. The swap will likely cost more than a rebuild but it's worth it.

And yes you need an older trans for a donor. The newer ones will physically bolt up but don't have the speedo gear provision (if I remember right.)

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Vehicle
ford's
Rebuilding the trans you currently have in the truck is a waste of time...find a good M5OD. The swap will likely cost more than a rebuild but it's worth it.

And yes you need an older trans for a donor. The newer ones will physically bolt up but don't have the speedo gear provision (if I remember right.)
awesome!!! thankyou so much!
and yes the bronco is all original 84. im going to keep my eye out and start hoarding parts while im deployed...../comeback to a lil monster =]