•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

85 b2 gauges not working

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
bought a 85 b2 about two months ago as a project (3rd b2, 1st with a carb not efi) anyway long story short it was durasparked by the p.o. (idk if that will have anything to do with my problem) but the entire left gauge cluster, consisting of fuel, battery, oil, and temp gauges is not working at all, ive checked connections and fuses all is well on those fronts, any idea what could be going on? Also none of my dash lights are working so not sure about that either.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok thanks hopefully thatll help, any suggestions on what to clean the contacts with? I've tried removing the cluster before but could never get the speedometer cable to come out of it

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Dont need anything special to clean the contacts, a clean rag with a little wd40 would do just fine, the speedo cable pulls straight off but its hard to get a grip on it in such a tight space.

Once the dash is out you can test the individual gauges with a low voltage power supply or battery charger set on low...2 amps is plenty.

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok thanks, i would think theyre probably ok but who knows with my luck they all 4 could just be bad lol, but thanks for the help I'll be sure to post the results tomorrow

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well I tried and no luck, I checked out my fuses and the one for instrument panel lamps wasnt blown but it had mud or something in it from the p.o. Could that be messing with the fuse?

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
lol, ya I dont think 'mud' would conduct electricity very well.

Did you test the gauges while it was out? are the lights workin in the dash? if they work the problem isnt with the power going in from the fuse box.