•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

85 B2 newbie - can you help me triage this info?

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hi all -

I'm a new owner (new to this vehicle and new to maintaining vehicles). I have a lot going on with this car and need some help prioritizing if y'all are up for it!

1. I had an engine coolant leak which I fixed by replacing the heater core (woo hoo!). I prioritized this first since I didn't want to break down due to over heating ✅
2. I've posted earlier about the engine idling very high. I just finished #1 so haven't started troubleshooting this issue, tho it is keeping me from feeling like I should drive the vehicle right now. I'm prepared to run smoke through the system to check for vacuum leaks but really don't know where to start smokin' it out. Any advice on that? I don't know much about parts of the engine, so that's an issue :/
3. Valve covers leak oil
4. I just ran a KOEO test with my nifty code reader and found:
  • code 31 (O, or self test mode) = EVP or PFE circuit below minimum voltage
  • code 18 (C, or Continuous Memory mode) = Loss of tachometer input/IDM circuit failure/SPOUT circuit grounded
Needless to say I'm a little overwhelmed and want to focus on safety features first, but also only things I can safely do as a n00b, though I'm not fearful of trying stuff, I just don't have a lift or a ton of ways to get way into the engine myself.

Thanks in advance!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I would address the spout ground first. Remove the spout and determine which side is grounded. Disconnect the grounded side and check if it’s still grounded to determine component failure or wire failure. If component, replace it. If wire, trace to damage and repair.

Edit: good job replacing that heater core.

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ok - I don't know where to find the spout. In my manual, there's nothing that I can find that references the SPOUT. There are so many wires in this vehicle!!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
CECC9290-2D91-4789-9951-B41E88171AF7.png
759FC44C-F88C-4DAB-B031-E4721353E45C.png
It will be in the wires that run along the passenger side of the intake manifold. It will be a small plug in device. Usually black about an inch square. It will unplug from the wiring.

Last edited:

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
fantastic! Mine looks a little rougher than these, but this helped a ton! I haven't gone through the testing with the multimeter yet cuz I have to research it, but unplugging it caused the engine to decrease its high idle, so looks like we're onto something! Thank you

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Removing the spout basically turns off the distributor advance and the engine runs at base timing. So it changing idol speed is good and proper

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
oh, ok. thanks for that. Should I still assume a problem because of the CODE 18 and try to test with a multimeter? Does this idle change mean I likely don't have a vacuum leak as well?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Reading back on this thread something ain’t right. Are we dealing with an 85 2.8 ?

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
yep, 85 Bronco II 2.8 V6

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Disconnecting your spout wire got the correct response.
Have you cleared the codes and seen if they return
On the driver side of carburetor towards the front is the idol control motor. It mounts in front of the throttle tab and it’s what the computer uses to set the idol speed. Check it is plugged in. Does the rod that pushes the throttle tab look all the way out?

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Ok, I tried to clear the codes, but the car's engine is no longer sending data to the code reader. I'm following the instructions to clear the codes, connect the reader, turn the ignition, press TEST, hear a click or two, but the reading indicator never starts, so I'm not sure what all broke. Struggle bus

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
also, the idle control monitor was originally (a while ago) unplugged. I've plugged that in again. I'll check the rod later this evening

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Ok, I tried to clear the codes, but the car's engine is no longer sending data to the code reader. I'm following the instructions to clear the codes, connect the reader, turn the ignition, press TEST, hear a click or two, but the reading indicator never starts, so I'm not sure what all broke. Struggle bus
When it rains.........
You can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes. Then go over everything and make sure anything you may have disconnected is back together.

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ya, good point. I'll do that and then drive it around a little to see if we have any new info. Thanks!

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ok, just drove her around - more to add to the mix, but yes, that rod does appear to be sticking out...

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Wrong part. 😁. It’s under your hand in the 1st picture. Four wires going into it. That is the idle control motor. The ECM used it to control the idle. If it is all the way out it will give you a high idol.

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ok lemme try again!! :p

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ok - better view of correct part!

IMG_2802.jpg

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
also a pic of the carb cuz why not

IMG_2803.jpg

jules

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
ok, looking in my Haynes book, seems I'm supposed to test this with a tune-up tachometer, which I don't have. Is this something I should be farting around with? Trying to balance what I should take to the shop vs what a total noob can accomplish