•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

85 bronco 2 budget build

Chayse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
I just got my first bronco 2. Its a 1985 with a rebuilt 2.8 that has 60 thousand miles and a just rebuilt front end. so far I have gotten some parts like window seals and the stuff needed to do a tune up but other than that not much else. I have been tossing ideas around of what I want to do to, like an sas with a Dana 44 and a 9 inch but I also will be driving this truck as a daily soon, (I'm selling my other two trucks) so I'm not to sure that that's a practical idea. I'm open to ideas to make the best of my bronco, but I'm limited as far as a budget and even time thanks to schooling. I'm looking to build it as a wheeler that I can drive home and to school.

Z.jpg

Last edited:

kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Congrats on the truck. I've always like the size and styling of the b2. Reminds me of the old first generation Broncos.

As far as ideas the forum iis a great way to make a huge wish list. Reality, if your just wanting a good weekend warrior and Dailey driver you don't have to modify it a ton. Explorers make great parts donors. A 8.8 rear end will stand up to as much or more than a 9 inch. Lots of choices for lockers too. Dana 35 swap is a good choice As well. If you keep the tire size reasonable, the stock drive train can hold up pretty well. I have done a lot of wheeling for hunting and paddling on 31x 1050 tires. Not a lot of strain on the drive train. It all depends on how much you have or want to spend.
They are great vehicles. Enjoy and build yours your way.

Chayse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
A little update on what I got done today. I got the window weather stripping done that was a pain. I have the fluids swapped and up to level. All I have left for now is to do the spark plugs the ac pully and belt and tires. Will get the pully tomorrow and swap my tires over from my ranger tomorrow. I also took my tire carrier off and am going to make it to hold jerry cans and a high lift jack. :icon_welder:

Chayse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
Got led lights today. any ideas where to put them? I was thinking about putting them just below the pillars. here's a picture of the lights, also worked on the hella lights on the bumper. any good ways to tie in for power? worried about drawing to much. image.jpg
Oh and one last thing I got these for free :yahoo:

Chayse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
I got my off road lights all wired up, it was a bit of a pain trying to get all of the pieces and wires where they should be. also got a new ac belt pulley but found out that the ac compressor has no power due to the guy owning it before me cutting it and now I don't know where it goes. any help on that would be great. bought my self a high lift jack and some gauges. the gauges are just oil pressure, water temp, and voltage. also looking to swap the stock gauges over to be a tachometer since the only one that will work is going to be the fuel gauge. going to begin building a spot to put a Jerry can and the jack on, I'm going to use the stock tire carrier for that and just put a spare on the roof rack that some day I plan to build. looking at an axle to sas with as well thinking dana 44 but would a dana 30 be easier and not need shortened ?

Chayse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liter
update

I have done some work since my last post starting with getting some flush mounted led lights in the grill which I have removed now because they were a pain to get around when removing the grill. I also have cut my fenders by the bumper so they dont hang down as far, along with this I rhino lined the lower fenders and doors. So far Im working on getting my roof rack I got for Christmas installed and wiring up my tachometer and that is about it.