•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 2.9l sensors what should I replace? In what order?

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Okay so finally got the beast road worth but their is still a few hiccups.

86 b2 man trans 2.9l efi

Put all new motorcraft spark plugs in yesterday, it ran a lot better after that, wires looked visually appetizing, so going to wait on those for now..

But...

She doesn't want to start in the morning unless I put the pedal to the floor, and I notice the kinda bucking effect some people have mentioned where there's almost a lack of power, and you'll feel her kinda jump when it gets some good power, mostly during accelerating when city driving.. Possibly running too rich or lean

I know I have a slight exhaust leak on drivers side, it might be from the egr exhaust manifold outlet.. Or it's the exhaust manifold to exhaust connection

But if I want to start swapping out sensors on a truck that's been sitting for 10 years what should I start with? My best bang for the buck , that might eliminate that buck lol.

Also she occasionally will die if I'm coasting in N I put her in gear and let out the clutch and she will hiccup and keep purring, but it gets annoying making sure she doesn't die out at a red light.

Ideas?? Suggestions???

Oh n I'm working on my back yard bodywork skills, ill post pics soon, might inspire you guys to fix those lil rust problems before the cancer spreads.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I would put it on a code reader to see what hits. I would say the 02 sensor but with the leak and the years sitting it could be a lot if things. Take it to get a free code read.

-gil-

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
But will it pop codes if the check engine light isn't on?

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Well I am currently stranded about 50 miles from home, I drove around town for a bit, and she started to buck a bit before I hopped on the highway, she ran good once she got up to speed, felt just like my other gutless bronco 2s I could hit 75 towing a small trailer on flat ground any inclined took me down to 65-70 and I could hit 80-85 on a nice downgrade slope, I pulled off the highway and stopped at the light when to put it into seconded and she was just sputtering and bucking and dragging her hooves, so I'm currently under the shade of the viaduct right off the highway waiting for her to cool down a bit, she's not over heating just running very warm...

Jim thinking a tfi module? Because of the heat related problem??? What do you guys think??

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
So I'm putting my money on that tfi module after I let her sit for 30 mins she started right up and had lots of power, but not while she was hot, so I picked up my load of fireworks and I'm sitting at Denny's eating a nice dinner and letting her cool off before I take the hour drive back home..

I read up on the externally mounted tfi using the Aerostar heat sink, and the plan is to take a ride to the junkyard Tom too see if I can scrounge up the parts to get her done, and I will post my results. Still need to figure out that cold start issue, I should t have to give her any throttle to start her up , so does that mean its running lean?? Because it needs more fuel/ air to start up???

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That is a good start and I have read about the repositioning but also think there is more to it .. How fast does it take to get over normal temp. And just to let you know overheating is a common issue with the 2.9 as well as cracked heads. I was just saying about the code becuse it's strange that with the issues you are having that not a single light has come on or the light has been disabled by someone or burnt out. ( have seen cars that people disabled light to sell)

-gil-

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
The RIGHT way to do this is to run a KOER EEC test . . not replacing sensors for the heck of it.

Last edited:

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
It's not getting over normal temp, it's within acceptable range, and I know the cracked head problem I had to replace two on my 89 b2.
It's just when the engine reaches that point to where it's at maximum engine temp, and it's all warmed up or if it's sitting at a idle for too long, I believe the reason it doesn't like city driving is there is to much stopping and idling where that old tfi is just getting baked under the hood, but when I'm at highway speeds I get a nice breeze under the hood and it cools down that tfi and runs a lot better,

Is there a place I can get that diagnostic test done free?? It seams to me I asked before and they said only obd2 systems they could scan but that was autozone, anybody know of another place that will scan it for free?? I'm going to check out that engine light Tom, but I'm pretty sure it turns on when you first turn the ignition,
Will a bad tfi module pop a code?
I've read that they can be tested as okay, but can still be bad.
Thanks everybody the b2 made it home safe so ima dig into it more tom

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
It's not getting over normal temp, it's within acceptable range, and I know the cracked head problem I had to replace two on my 89 b2.
It's just when the engine reaches that point to where it's at maximum engine temp, and it's all warmed up or if it's sitting at a idle for too long, I believe the reason it doesn't like city driving is there is to much stopping and idling where that old tfi is just getting baked under the hood, but when I'm at highway speeds I get a nice breeze under the hood and it cools down that tfi and runs a lot better,

Is there a place I can get that diagnostic test done free?? It seams to me I asked before and they said only obd2 systems they could scan but that was autozone, anybody know of another place that will scan it for free?? I'm going to check out that engine light Tom, but I'm pretty sure it turns on when you first turn the ignition,
Will a bad tfi module pop a code?
I've read that they can be tested as okay, but can still be bad.
Thanks everybody the b2 made it home safe so ima dig into it more tom

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I agree with ponies . Good vid. And I got a free code read at brakes plus with a printout. Also if the heat is the issue maybe putting in a radiator from an explorer will help keep it a little cooler. There is a thread on here about it.

-gil-

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Thanks ponies i did the koeo engine off test before on my 4.0 b2 after I did the swap but I never had done the engine on test, so hopefully that will give me some insight to my problems at hand I will keep you guys posted

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
So I went to oriellys and got her scanned it said ford 001 any ideas?

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That code doesn't make sense.

-gil-

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Question . Did they use the adapter and correct settings. 001 says its a default code. Basically it's a fallback

-gil-

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
They used the adapter idk about correct settings??

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You should see if they can tell what the code is and then ask if its the codes for your make and year. I know the codes are different for earlier years.

-gil-