•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 2.9LV6 stalls out?

Mhollis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Just got my Bronco II together 93,000 original miles. After I drive it roughly 30 minutes (especially on Hot days) I stop or slow down in traffic and motor acts as if it is not getting enough fuel pressure. Step on the gas and very little horsepower, bucking and so forth. After about two hundred yards i am up to speed and it hums right along until I slow down or stop again. Ignition module (TFI) went out about a week after I got it all back together. Replaced that. I have read about others having this same problem but have yet to find a definitive answer as to why they do this. Will check fuel pressure this weekend but I have a feeling that is not it. Is the TFI getting to hot being mounted onto the distributor?....remedies if that is the cause? Any help greatly appreciated

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Yes there is a heat issue with the TFI module because it is mounted to the distributor. It does not have good cooling back there on the distributor.

I read something once about someone routing a cool air duct to that area and saw huge temperature drops.

I also saw something on TRS once about re-locating the module to a metal plate back on the firewall. The metal help distribute the heat and it stays cooler there.

If I were suspicious of TFI I would rig some sort of temporary duct somehow to get some outside ram air back to that area.

Given the temperature association I would also consider air charge temperature (ACT) and engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensors. The ACT is on the throttle body. The ECT is just above where the thermostat is. It is a two wire sensor and a different sensor than the one wire one used for the dash temp gauge.

If those sensors are messed up the computer will have the wrong inputs and faulty operation will result.

Mhollis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thank you, first I am going to take the TFI off and remove the dielectric grease and replace it with actual Heat Sink (computer motherboards) and see if that remedies. If not then the relocating of the TFI sounds pretty good.