•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

86 bronco 2 wont start when hot

rph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco 2
2.9 auto tested battery GOOD tested Alternator with internal reg-good---dont know how to test reg for short when hot-- orignal owner changed complete steering wheel ????-starts great from the start, drive for thirty minutes and car barley turns over -sometimes ,no start-- has anybody have a clue- could battery be shorting out -- also when bring car back to garage batery test fine -doesnt need recharged HELP-- Im new to this bronco 2 club thing --thanks

Broncotim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I once had an Engine Temp sensor cause issues with restarting after engine gets warm. Also, if the TFI module is old it could be heating up and faulting. When these occur the vehicle will turn over but not start until it cools. If the engine will not crank it could be something electrical to the starter. Interesting issue I hope some of this helps.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
2.9 auto tested battery GOOD tested Alternator with internal reg-good---dont know how to test reg for short when hot-- orignal owner changed complete steering wheel ????-starts great from the start, drive for thirty minutes and car barley turns over -sometimes ,no start-- has anybody have a clue- could battery be shorting out -- also when bring car back to garage batery test fine -doesnt need recharged HELP-- Im new to this bronco 2 club thing --thanks
To clarify, it turns over slow when warm like a weak battery? How was the battery tested?
Sounds like a bad battery. Shorting when warming from charge. Won’t always show up on a load test. I’ve experienced the same issue.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Something else to consider...

Spark timing too far advanced can and will cause cranking issues when full operating temp has been achieved.

This can be easily checked by pulling the spout connector when it's acting up. If it cranks better... timing is most likely to far advanced.

rph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco 2
Thank you all---- when I first start , it starts really strong, but if I drive half hour or more and then turn off - it seldom starts and if it does, it acts like the battery has been all but drained and when I get it home and turn off - its dead BUT test battery with a muti-meter and it shows 12.4 maybe 12.65 I ve also tested alter with an internal reg and its test like it should cranking in at about 13 -14 so it shows as though its charging -could the internal reg be shorting out after it gets hot --expanding -- also could the solenoid be the cause heating them cooling ??-- let it sit and cool and its all ready to go-- also the comment about the timing , the person who sold it to me said that her garage had been messing with the dist and had to ADJUST it alot - probably why it came so cheap -but basically it runs and goes very good -- but it idles very high in the begining and "kinda" settles down after a while--still a little high -- again thank you for any help-- Im not the best mechanic

rph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco 2
ok- now after replacing starter solenoid- car started and then died for good -checked everything again, bronco now makes 1 click and will not even turn over--nothing but 1 click under hood, and never clicks again until a day or two --any Ideals thanks

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
That sounds like a bad ground. Ensure cables are clean and tight... both ends.

I've run across this a few times... typically ground cable down by the starter motor.