•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

87 BII 3G alternator upgrades.

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My current problems to weed out are that my signal lights , heater blower and power windows slow when the headlights are on.

I do plan to install a heavy duty headlamp wiring kit from LMC or Jeff's but also think i need to do at least a small case 95 amp 3G alternator upgrade.

I would also like it to look stock as possible and not have to use a Chevy alternator adjuster bracket as i see in some on line write up's.

I was wondering what you fellow forum members have done ?

Thanks.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I would be interested too. Unfortunately there is much more traffic on TRS and I hate to say it you probably get more hits there.

For what it is worth, about a year ago I was having a squealing sound that I tracked to alternator bearing starting to go. I am pretty sure it was still the factory alternator.

I never had headlights dimming when at idle or when turning on other electrical loads.. Upon replacement the headlights are dimmer at idle and I can see them dim when I draw as few as 5 to 7 amps for some equipment I have running in the car. Very annoying.

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well i have read a lot of info at the TRS forum , decided to do a little searching for what may be a better solution to what i want to accomplish with the truck.I was snowed in today so hit the computer and found the following.

1987 Bronco II's have a 2G internal regulated alternator with the connections at 2 o'clock and adjusting ear at 10 o'clock.
A NAPA #2133060K or #133060K would be a 2G , 80 amp replacement at about $100.

A NAPA #2133057 would be a 3G , 95 amp , small case connections at 3 o'clock and adjusting ear at 10 o'clock for a 1995 E-150 or F-150 with a 4.9 engine
and sounds like a good fit for $143.00 bucks.

A NAPA #2133106 small case 130 amp 3G from a 95 mustang 5.0 would cost about $10 more but may need to re clocked for wiring modify a bracket or use the Chevy bracket.

A NAPA #2133120F small case 130 amp from a 95 Windstar was the cheapest at $120. and also not a direct install.

Last edited:

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am thinking i want the a small case 3G so i can try to use a 94 Explorer upper radiator hose to match the Explorer radiator i recently installed and had to fab a hose with two pieces.
I am also planning to use a K & N filter on the TB and get rid of that big air hose that goes to the air cleaner box.
Just tryin to keep it clean under that hood and no chevy parts LOL !!

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
How did this work out for you?

When my alt died I just got a replacement from NAPA, not even sure which one, the 60 amp or 80 amp. Someday, a 3G sounds like project I might do.

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
How did this work out for you?

When my alt died I just got a replacement from NAPA, not even sure which one, the 60 amp or 80 amp. Someday, a 3G sounds like project I might do.
I have not done anything with the alternator yet but think I am going to do the 95 amp from a 95 4.9 E/F150. napa has a cheaper bosh rebuilt online. but my local napa didn't have it in stock needed to check availability Bla bla.

I did install the heavy duty headlight harness from LMC and it works great , headlamps are much brighter and my signals don't slow down at stop lights as much and my intermittent wiper delay works better.
I only had the truck a few weeks and cant remember if there was a chime if u left the headlights on but if i did that does not work now and the little led headlamp warning light on the console stay on when the headlamps are on.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The chime is behind the glovebox, it's probably flat worn out of somebody unplugged it.

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The chime is behind the glovebox, it's probably flat worn out of somebody unplugged it.
I wonder if its the same chime as the ignition key that still works .
The passenger side factory headlamp plugs into the new harness and the drivers side is not used and indicating a headlamp out.

There are no fuses on the LMC heavy duty harness so I added a fuse block and separate fuses for the new headlamp harness.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
my chime works for both the key and the headlights. I have a relay harness from JBG, hooked up the same as yours, but I have XL which doesn't have any of monitoring gear like yours.

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
my chime works for both the key and the headlights. I have a relay harness from JBG, hooked up the same as yours, but I have XL which doesn't have any of monitoring gear like yours.
If i can find a real console that has deeper cup holders i won't have any monitoring gear either.:icon_thumby:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If i can find a real console that has deeper cup holders i won't have any monitoring gear either.:icon_thumby:
Ebay usually has some from 89 and up BII's and explorers.

I've got an older version of this:
http://www.amazon.com/TSI-Products-54215-Clutter-Catcher/dp/B000WHACHC/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1401717359&sr=1-5&keywords=console

It was in the Bronco when I bought it. It's a lightweight flimsy POS, the lock isn't even good enough to be a joke. I told the wife "this POS is the first thing to go".

Well, I was wrong, it is basically a flimsy POS and the lock is unusable, but the damn thing is so useful. The cup holders work perfect, the storage area is large, and there's a spot for sunglasses. The new model has coin holders too.

It wedges in between the front seats like it was made to be there. It is long and it may hit your floor shifter. The PO of mine notched the front to make it fit, I have an auto with floor shift and manual transfer case shifter.

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well my headlight chime does work and thanks for the tip on that console , I keep spilling my coffee in the morning before i even get out of the driveway!