•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

87 BII dying and starting issues

caseygriff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD
My credo
Workin hard or hardly workin
What's going guys I'll be brutally honest because I need some help here. My fuel gauge on the dash was functioning fine after running some techron through a few months ago. It was showing decent enough somewhat accurate readings until a few weeks ago I noticed it sitting at empty even though I had about 1/2 tank or more. This is what got me into trouble, I drove her a bit too starved of gas and managed to make it home and park. Was jerking and surging due to low fuel for the last half mile or so. The next day I went a filled a couple of jerry cans and refueled expecting no issues. Wrong again, the B2 died as soon as I got around the block :flipoff:

Would fire back up and drive for 300 ft then slowly lose power. Pushed her home thanks to the help of some neighbors. Figured maybe I starved the fuel-sending unit and burned it dry? Today I cut an access panel to inspect the true level of gas in the tank which is 3/4.. High pressure pump and filter are fresh and I can hear the hi-pres. priming when I turn ign on. Also Im getting one loud click from the starter then a series of rapid clicks. My under hood solenoid is new as of last year and the starter is old. Real odd to me is how both problems started at the same time, real convenient ford stuff :pissedoff: My two questions are 1. how can I diagnose the sending unit beyond bench testing for resistance? and 2. do I simply need to replace the starter? Thanks

IMG_2868.jpeg

IMG_2982.jpg
IMG_2979.jpg
IMG_2980.jpg

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Check the connections at the fuel tank, they can get corroded.
Check that brass float actually floats. If it's bad, there's a jeep float made of plastic that fits. Search my old threads as I think I documented that here.
Eventually the sending unit fail and you just have to get a new one. Techron probably helped because it cleaned the contacts, but they do wear out over time as the float moves up and down.

Sucking the tank dry may have jammed the fuel filters with crud, might replace those.

I've had two solenoids go bad in the last 4-5 years, as the saying goes "they don't make them like they used to".
Check the battery cables and starter cable, they can corrode inside of the insulation where you can't see it but they will feel soft at that point, this happened on my 90 Ranger.

telnex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
What's going guys I'll be brutally honest because I need some help here. My fuel gauge on the dash was functioning fine after running some techron through a few months ago. It was showing decent enough somewhat accurate readings until a few weeks ago I noticed it sitting at empty even though I had about 1/2 tank or more. This is what got me into trouble, I drove her a bit too starved of gas and managed to make it home and park. Was jerking and surging due to low fuel for the last half mile or so. The next day I went a filled a couple of jerry cans and refueled expecting no issues. Wrong again, the B2 died as soon as I got around the block :flipoff:

Would fire back up and drive for 300 ft then slowly lose power. Pushed her home thanks to the help of some neighbors. Figured maybe I starved the fuel-sending unit and burned it dry? Today I cut an access panel to inspect the true level of gas in the tank which is 3/4.. High pressure pump and filter are fresh and I can hear the hi-pres. priming when I turn ign on. Also Im getting one loud click from the starter then a series of rapid clicks. My under hood solenoid is new as of last year and the starter is old. Real odd to me is how both problems started at the same time, real convenient ford stuff :pissedoff: My two questions are 1. how can I diagnose the sending unit beyond bench testing for resistance? and 2. do I simply need to replace the starter? Thanks

View attachment 16856
View attachment 16859View attachment 16857View attachment 16858
Regarding the first incident, my 87 crapped out after i ran it low on gas too. Basically word for word. The stock pumps in the fuel tank are crap, and the new replacements are somehow better? Usually not the case in my experience. I ended up replacing the entire fuel system from the tank up to the pressure regulator. Gas tank, both pumps, hoses and filters. Runs great now.

Concerning the starter, every time one thing goes down on these 3 other follow.. lol.