•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

87 to 94 a4ld tranny swap

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
I just picked up a 94 tranny from a ranger truck to swap in my 88 bronco 2 that had a 87 tranny in it from another swap. it had a 88 a4ld in it with 3 wires. that tranny went bad so i had some hole in the wall mexican shop find 1 and put it in and he put in an older 2 wire 87 tranny. the truck was originally 3 wire. i spliced the wires back together and took it for a drive and it goes threw 1st,2nd and 3rd just fine. but overdrive wont work. its like it dosnt even have od. is there a wire not spliced right? solenoid bad?, something i am missing?

also i noticed reverse is hard to get it. there is only a little area where it will go in. is my floor shifter not right for this tranny? should be the same though because it is a a4ld.
any info i would greatly appreciate

Mr.Foss

Last edited:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
88-94 Rangers have a 3 wire A4LD trans. It has a solenoid for 4th gear and converter lockup.
83-87 Rangers have a 2 wire A4LD. It has a solenoid for converter lockup only.
By installing the 87 trans where a 88 was means you will never get 4th gear.

You have 2 options. Install the correct trans and repair the wiring,

OR

swap the 88 valvebody into the 87 trans. Also have to swap the wire connector. ( 2 wire to 3 wire ).

BTW, the 94 Ranger trans should bolt up just fine other than maybe the shift linkage. Have a close look. That maybe why you have problems finding reverse.

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello

Here is some of my swap from 94 areostar to my B2. So far its working pretty good.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15313&highlight=igiveup
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212268
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137972

Between these two sites it has all the info that you need for your toy.

I hope this helps a bit. Make sure you do the upgrades to the Valve Body while its out. Its not hard to do just follow the instructions.

My A4LD shifts like a dream.

igiveup

Last edited:

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
Im sorry i mistyped a few things. i was up all night drive 7 hours from az to sd in 3rd gear lol.. The original was a 88 tranny that got replaced to a 87 tranny. the mexican spliced the wires and made it a 2 plug. it worked fine until the brass bushing in tranny went bad. so i bought a 94 tranny that was just rebuilt less then a year ago for $250.. i spiced the wires back and made it a 3 plug wire. (original) .