•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 Bronco 2 Dome Lights

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Seems the driver's side door switch for the dome lights is bad, how hard is it to replace one? Haven't tried removing it yet, but seems like it should just pull out of the hole pretty easily.

The other thing is I'm debating about replacing the dome lights, front and rear with something a bit brighter. Don't particularly care to use LEDs unless there's an easy way of doing so without needing to do a bunch of wiring to get them to work LOL.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I remember that one of the forums had a list of drop in led replacement bulbs. It might have been Broncoii.org which is dead now. You could find the bulb numbers (LMC?) and cross to a led version with a little Google searching.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
HMM, thank you. I didn't realize the LED bulbs directly connected without needing special adapters or wiring changes.

Seems the way to go would be LED bulbs, probably never need to replace them again. A bit more expensive initially but over the long run cheaper.

Still haven't messed with the door switch, it broke in the off position so at least the dome light isn't on all the time. I'd still like to get it replaced eventually.

Need to find a bulb for the rear cargo light as well not even sure if that light works as there isn't a bulb in it, and I don't have one to even try it. Maybe this weekend I can grab some bulbs and start working on this. Everything seems to actually work so I assume the bulb burned out and the PO just never bothered to install a new bulb. Lens is also missing on the cargo light, I have yet to find a replacement lens.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
HMM, thank you. I didn't realize the LED bulbs directly connected without needing special adapters or wiring changes.

Seems the way to go would be LED bulbs, probably never need to replace them again. A bit more expensive initially but over the long run cheaper.

Still haven't messed with the door switch, it broke in the off position so at least the dome light isn't on all the time. I'd still like to get it replaced eventually.

Need to find a bulb for the rear cargo light as well not even sure if that light works as there isn't a bulb in it, and I don't have one to even try it. Maybe this weekend I can grab some bulbs and start working on this. Everything seems to actually work so I assume the bulb burned out and the PO just never bothered to install a new bulb. Lens is also missing on the cargo light, I have yet to find a replacement lens.
LMC has the dome light parts. They also have the cargo light as a "lift gate" light.

Also I've seen these on ebay many times over the past couple of years.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
LMC has the dome light parts. They also have the cargo light as a "lift gate" light.

Also I've seen these on ebay many times over the past couple of years.
Thanks for your help, I'll have to checkout LMC.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I got out my owners manual...
Dome and cargo light bulb is a "912"

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I got out my owners manual...
Dome and cargo light bulb is a "912"
Thanks, ordered an owners manual yesterday waiting for it to get here. Thinking about ordering a shop manual for it as well.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I got mine cheap off ebay. Get the Ford electrical service manual for the BII if you can, that has been a huge help. The Chilton and Haynes manuals I would say to buy them if they are cheap, but not at retail price. If you have the Ford shop manual they don't offer much except possibly more pictures. The Ford shop manual is 3x the size of a Chiltons or Haynes.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I got mine cheap off ebay. Get the Ford electrical service manual for the BII if you can, that has been a huge help. The Chilton and Haynes manuals I would say to buy them if they are cheap, but not at retail price. If you have the Ford shop manual they don't offer much except possibly more pictures. The Ford shop manual is 3x the size of a Chiltons or Haynes.
I have a shop manual from my 84 Bronco 2 and its 100x better than a Chilton or Haynes manual, however I do have both Chilton & Haynes manuals from 83-91 ranger & B2's although the B2 never existed after 1990 LOL.

Anyhow I'll just do some general searching around and see what I can come up with. The wiring diagrams I plan on getting as well, none of the standard manuals are useful in that category its of course a complete manual all to itself for wiring and vacuum lines.

Ran into a snag again this morning with it. Ignition lock cylinder won't turn at all, did fine heading into town, stopped at the post office, then it wouldn't work. Fine, needed it replaced anyhow but was hoping it would hold on for a bit longer.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
After I posted I got curious and checked Ebay there is shop and electrical set out there.

Sucks about the ignition cylinder, I haven't replaced one of those, I did do the doors and hatch.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
After I posted I got curious and checked Ebay there is shop and electrical set out there.

Sucks about the ignition cylinder, I haven't replaced one of those, I did do the doors and hatch.
If it wasn't for being on my way to work when it failed I would have replaced it myself, however it cost me $155 for a shop to haul it from the post office across town to their shop, then $67.50 for labor, about $28 for the ignition lock cylinder, and $7.50 for shop supplies. Probably about the same or a little less than a lock smith would have charged...if there was a damn lock smith in town, closest one is about 30 miles away and couldn't have done it until Tuesday.

When i get paid next week I'll look around for the manuals.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
when I did my interior work I changed out the crappy dome light in the BII with a better style from a 2000 explorer, little bracket fab but its a whole lot nicer and has the map lights on it. Also pulled a rear cargo light from a 2001 expedition (mine didn't even have one) wired that in and installed all LED bulbs which makes it a lot brighter. the expedition cargo light has a control switch so I can turn on, off or auto that was a nice add in as well. I bought the LEDs off ebay, just looked up the bulb number and typed it into the search for LED replacement.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
when I did my interior work I changed out the crappy dome light in the BII with a better style from a 2000 explorer, little bracket fab but its a whole lot nicer and has the map lights on it. Also pulled a rear cargo light from a 2001 expedition (mine didn't even have one) wired that in and installed all LED bulbs which makes it a lot brighter. the expedition cargo light has a control switch so I can turn on, off or auto that was a nice add in as well. I bought the LEDs off ebay, just looked up the bulb number and typed it into the search for LED replacement.
I may look into this option later on. The stock lights are like a night light in reality, they are there but the light given off...rather the heat is better than the light LOL.

I found the side marker bulbs yesterday at Autozone but they wanted $10 each for them, so I just got the standard bulbs for $4 for 2 LOL.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I upgraded all my lights to LED but the headlights, wasn't cheap but it's better. there were a couple issues with the blinker swap but wasn't too bad. I bought the bulbs on Ebay I believe they were all ordered form the same place (JDM Star) interior and exterior. I really like the light the LEDs Throw.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I may look into the LED's in the future, right now just mainly wanting to get things working properly so I can drive it reliably.

Made a 70 mile round trip in it yesterday and it did great. So maybe I can start doing a few of the bulb upgrades in the near future.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'm trying to do the same, get it going so I can drive it. it's been about a 4yr project for me. getting close to being done. I do like the LEDs over stock, that was one of the last things I did. still a little more to do but I'm getting closer. Good luck getting it going!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I have been driving it back and forth to work and around town the past week. Monday its going to the body shop to have the hood repainted so it won't rust any further, then it will be back on the road once more. Really enjoy driving it.

Filled up the fuel tank this morning, only thing is that I found is the gauge is off...way off, at about 1/4 of a tank I put in 13 gallons, so the fuel gauge isn't reading properly so there's about 10 gallons remaining when I have 1/4 of a tank left. Not a problem, at least it reads wrong with extra fuel in the tank than the other way around HAHA!! Driven around town the past week and filled up did a fuel economy calculation and it got 18.5mpg just driving around town. Not bad at all considering my truck gets 13-14mpg in town. When you are on a budget 4mpg is a huge savings LOL. That equals out to more money for the B2.

Cdenton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
superbrightleds.com has a page where you can find LED replacements for all the bulbs for the BII both exterior and interior. It's a good place to start but you can probably find them cheaper from somewhere else.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
superbrightleds.com has a page where you can find LED replacements for all the bulbs for the BII both exterior and interior. It's a good place to start but you can probably find them cheaper from somewhere else.
Thanks I'll check them out too.