•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 Bronco II 4.0 Swap

TillamookB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Where is the computer needed for the 4.0 located in a 1992 Explorer? Also, does it completely replace the 2.9 computer in the Bronco II?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Its located on the passenger side kick panel kind of same location as the ranger/bronco 2 computers from what I've gathered. The 4.0L computer will completely replace the 2.9L computer.

I don't know much about the swap other than that though LOL.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Check out the tech library, there's loads of info on the 4.0 swap. Also lots of info on the D35/8.8 swap if you found yourself a whole donor vehicle.

Edit: If you did find a donor vehicle, I think the easiest thing to do would be swap the engine, computer and dash into the b2. The dash would swap in with minor mods to the steering column, and having a dash/motor/cpu that all match you'll avoid any wire splicing. Just run the wire harnesses where they need to go and plug em in. I'm planning on doing a 4.0 swap soon, that's my plan of attack anyways.

Last edited:

lchappyjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
The splicing is way easier than swapping the dash, I had a donor so I took everything I could. Well worth the power for a pretty much bolt in swap.