•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 Bronco II dies when warm

turmanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
hrm...didnt think about that...sigh...hopefully my problem is fixed....

turmanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
ok so replacing the parts seem to take away my code 21, and i checked my fuel pressure on the fuel rail after the fpr and it took a couple key on and offs to get the gauge to read pressure, which it read 30 psi KOEO and about 29 (bouncing quickly from 27-30) and would go up to 33 at full throttle, seems a little low to me

FPR is relatively new and i do not get any fuel out of the vacuum line from the FPR. Both fuel filters are new as well. Thoughts?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Could be a weak fuel pump, not sure but I thought the fuel pressure was supposed to be around 35-42psi. Something is either restricted, a fuel leak, or a fuel pump that's about ready to give up.

My EEC (I guess that's the term for it LOL) relay has been sitting on my desk for about 2 months now due to it apparently going haywire and putting the bronco 2 into limp mode and wouldn't go faster than 40mph. Does anyone know if I really need that relay installed? Can't seem to find one anywhere. Truck runs and drives great without it, but if I put it back in I'm back in limp mode and stuck with a 40mph top speed. I read on another forum that this controls the computer, carburetor, distributor and other things, but the truck runs better without it.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Your key on fuel pressure test is a bit low.When you replaced the fuel reg. was the return line clear by blowing air thru it(by mouth will do it) you can hear it gurgling at the fill pipe in the back? Make sure your fuel pump relay is getting full voltage to it and out to the fuel pump?

turmanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
no i never cleared the line, ill do that. I just took the tfi to autozone to have tested they tested it about 8 times, no fail, i was kinda sad lol.

My hp fuel pump has been getting louder like its about to go out, but i read that the gas cools the pump down so it couldnt be that its overheating, and my fp relay is brand new, ill check the voltages, but heat seems to be my problem, so check the relay when my car starts acting up?

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Generaly with low fuel pressure the return line should be clear.If you suspect the fpr to be failing and when you replace it, then you can check the return line.Have you done the TFI plug voltage checks? One other queston,have you changed out the stock radio/sterio with a aftermarket? If you have. was it wired in right? Because the radio is fed by the igntion switch and if it's not wired right it could cause problems the TFI circuit if not grounded corcectly or wired backwards

Last edited:

turmanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No voltage checks yet, ya i have and it was but was stolen about a year ago, ill check and make sure no wires are touching eachother

turmanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Also, i do not see any fuel in the vacuum line of the fpr but i do smell fumes from it.

A little update:
since my gas tank is pretty rusty i decided to buy a new one ($90) and both fuel pumps
($150). And get new filters just so i know i have a clean system and because my hp pump was about to go out and im sure the lp was on the verge as well. Will be cutting that nice hole in the floor for future access as well. I also got a heatsink from an aerostar that i think i will mount by the relays, will just stick with 16 guage possibly 14 if i have any problems. and maybe a new TFI. hopefully my problems will fade away...right...

Last edited:

turmanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hah ya i think its time to change the tank/pumps, it seems the power wire had fallen off, so apparently it wasnt working for some time. I'll upload my tfi pics tomorrow
204MEDIA$IMAG0161.jpg

204MEDIA$IMAG0158.jpg

204MEDIA$IMAG0164.jpg

turmanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Got my tank and pumps in yesterday, just finished up everything tonight, went to crank it up...nothing, i didnt even hear the hp pump prime..

later i was on the porcelin throne of thinking and remembered i didnt plug the inertia switch back in (durh)...ill do that in the morning and crank it up, cant wait to have her back on the road again, ill post pics tomorrow of the work ive done

That hole people cut above the tank is genious, i installed my pump using that hole, 9" by 7" holding it up with metal hanging strap and going to caulk the gaps

turmanator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Remoting the tfi and/or changing my pumps/tank fixed my dieing problem and i have a working gas guage now for the first time in 8 years. After i changed my pumps i got a code 95 and did some research on here, a guy said he got the same code after the change so he directly grounded his hp pump and i did as well and now the code is gone.

Next is to change my VC gaskets to get rid of that smoking issue than shes almost as good as new

Thanks from my Bronco and I for the help and info from TRS.