•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 ranger 4x4 conversion

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
I have a 86 bronco II but the motor and electrical system is all messed up. My stepdad has an 88 ranger 2wd. Can i take the front axle, transfer case and drive shaft and put them into the ranger? without a lot of fabrication or anything? any help is appreciated. thanks

wvfarmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03 ranger 4.0
Vehicle
99 ranger 3.0
mayb if you used the the whole drive train thinking that both have a 2 .9 v6 and if you driled out all the rivits and used all the brackets and hangers from the bronco it could be done but it isnt a bolt in by any means and a hell of alota work and maybe a rear drive shaft this job isnt for the week

scotts90ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
no, you cannot simply bolt up the front axle in place of the I beams, you can however bolt in the transfer case and transmission in (you would need a rear driveshaft from a junkyard) then swap in a dana 30 straight axle from a Jeep, it's easier than putting the TTB engine crossmember under the front...

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Can you take the motor & electrical parts from the Ranger to fix the BII?

Boggin

Reaction score
no its a nice bit of work. youre gonna have to swap engine crossmembers for the front axle mounting pivots. it would be easier taking the gear from the ranger and putting in the bronco. even if you had to change engines.

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
thanks for all the info you guys. I found a 91 explorer 4x4 that runs and drives that i could buy for less than the ranger. How hard is it to swap the dana 35 and 8.8?

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
would i be able to put the dana 28 and 7.5 in the explorer?

scotts90ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
the rear axle involves welding to put it in the bronco and the other way into the explorer. There might be some U joint games to be played for the rear axle, but unless you are planning on going very extreme the 7.5 will probably hold up fine.