•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

88 to 94 A4LD Tranny Swap Issue

foss40z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter
Hello,

I am trying to get some information on a A4LD Tranny i bought and put into my 1988 Bronco 2. My last Tranny went out so instead of having it rebuilt, I just went out and bought a A4LD tranny from a 94 Ranger that had been rebuilt less then a year ago for $250. I put it in and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd have awesome power, but it will not go into overdrive. I rechecked the wires that go to the tranny and everything looks good. I was wondering if it could be a bad solenoid or electronic issue.

Does any1 know if this 94 tranny will work with my 88? the 88 had a 3 plug wire just like the 94. Everything is the same except there is no dummy transfer case with this new tranny. My truck is a 2wd and i guess ford put dummy transfer cases on all bronco 2's. there was a speedo cable and a 2 wire cable that went to the transfer case. im thinking the 2 plug wire was just to notify that you are in 4wd. I had an aluminum driveshaft made that was 8 inches longer because the new tranny didnt have a transfer case.

also i had an issue after i put the tranny in that it wouldnt start. It ended up being a fuseable link under the hood that popped. so i replaced that and it fired right up. I have 3 relays under the hood. A gray 1 for the computer, a green 1 for the fuel pump and i have a black 1 that i am not sure about. is there any chance a relay or fuseable link popped? and could be the reason it is not going into overdrive?

If i can get a quick diagram or explination on the wiring that goes into the tranny from the relay down to the tranny i would greatly appreciate.

Thanks Again

Mr.Foss
Stuck in 3rd kinda guy.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
The 2 wire connector that comes off the speedo drive that the cable hooks to is for the computer, the cable is for the speedo, if the 2 wire connector isnt hooked up you may not have 4th gear and lockup.