•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

90 BII 4.0 Swap

jmburton1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
im getting ready to do a swap from a 91 explorer into a 89 b2, any advice? and man that thing looks good

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I know it's been awhile. Have had the BII running and been working out of state since Christmas and before. So it is time for some minor updates. I added 3 inch coil lift springs which my daughter helped with the grunt work!

Attachments

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
To flatten everything back out I added the radius arm drop brackets, axle beam drop brackets, and a drop pitman arm. New front shocks were added at the time too.

Attachments

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Of course, it needs new tires and wheels. But also I have welded a stack of 3 1/2 inch washers to give me another inch of height on the front-plan to add this weekend. I will deal with the back when I see the results. Changed out the dented front bumper too and went black(maybe yes, maybe no).

Attachments

Last edited:

dirtcowboy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Well done! That is a very nice ride. Thanks for posting this build info.

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Thanks dirtcowboy. You qualify to be an Appalachian redneck with all those vehicles-and yes, America that is a compliment. So I did take care of the welded washer lift in front and added 2 inch blocks in back-already had 2 inches of rear leaf spring lift. The next projects as you know always predicated on $$ supply will be new carpet and maybe a paint job- I do kinda like the rugged paint look though.

Attachments

Harley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
your b2 build is really cool. like the way you detail everything around the area your working on....ill keep an eye on this build...thanks!

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Nice, that thing is mint! Was your 4.0 harness plug and play or did you need to move pins around? And is the dash harness from the 2.9 or did you swap that too?

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Dash harness was from the 2.9. The only thing that was needed in this was the 4.0 engine wiring- to the fuel injectors, EDIS, alternator, crankshaft sensor etc.. Basically all wiring on the driver side of the BII was good to be able to plug into the wiring to control the 4.0. I used my 2.9 fuse block, too. I did not need to move pins around. It took a long time looking for a body that didn't have rust-and having lived in an area where salt was used a lot I knew where to look because my last BII rusted till the body was sitting on the frame with no mounts. What are you doing with the Ranger now? Is the v8 on hold?

Last edited:

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
The ranger is getting the 302 in time but i have a trip to Moab planned in August so the Bronco 2 is getting the Rangers 4.0 and M5OD. Good use of it anyway. I know what you mean about rust, its terrible!

So basically i just need the engine with the small center harness on engine and computer for the engine under the passenger kick plate. As well as the 4.0 starter wiring and the rest should plug in no issues?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

truckerdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Yes(the wiring on the passenger side of the vehicle from the firewall)-this was on a 90 BII, and don't remove anymore wiring than you need to from the BII. It will complicate things for you-you can always start pulling later if you need. People start cutting wires that never needed it and have more issues reconnecting. Some 2.9 computers will run the 4.0-check the numbers on them. They have the exact same factory numbers.

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Thanks ill look into that! I hope its that easy!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2