•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A Couple Starting Issues

1BadRS

Reaction score
1984 Bronco II with a duraspark conversion. I just installed this 2.8L motor and also swaped out the C5 for the M5OD. After wiring in the new starter as asdm08 recommended, I was able to get the truck to turn over. Now for some reason when I turn the key to start, I'm only getting a clicking sound at this box mounted under the dash above the kick panel on the driver side. If I left the key in the run position and jumped the fender mounted solinoid I was able to get the truck to turn over. Where should I start looking to solve this issue?

The other issue I am having is when I was jumping the fender mounted solinoid, the truck made no effort to even try and start up. It just cranks and cranks. I poured a little gas in the carb so I'm pretty sure i'm good with air and fuel. How do I check to make sure I'm getting spark?

Thanks

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Pull all your grounds apart and sand metal to metal. To check for spark pull a spark plug and put it in the coil wire to the distributor. Set it on a good ground then turn the ignition on with a jumper wire quickly touch the coil neg to ground the plug should fire every time you touch ground quick touches. If no spark check the coil for power to both pos and neg terminals the power should be slightly less on the neg terminal. If you get spark crank on the motor and see if you get fire. If not check the coil in the distributor for continuity the black is ground just check the other two if the coil is good check for power to the module if it has power and a good ground the module is bad.

1BadRS

Reaction score
I certainly had a grounding problem to start with. I sanded every ground connection I could find and I still didn't get anything with the key. My buddy also mentions a grounding problem and asked me about the engine to body ground. Well I didn't have one of those at all. Took one off another vehicle I have and low and behold the key now turns over the truck and I have lights again.

Still isn't even attempting to try and start so now I will go mess with the rest and see what the issue is.

I really appreciate the help you guys give on this site and hopefully I'll have this up and running shortly.