•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4LD pan 2WD vs 4WD

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
My '90 Bronco II 4WD has a pan with a damaged gasket surface. I have a pan from a 2WD - it's shallow without the clearance for the plastic filter extension. I also have a new filter from a 2WD without the plastic extension.

Is there any harm that could come from isntalling the 2WD filter and pan on a 4WD transmission? Obviously Ford did it for a reason, but if it's to keep the fluid cooler during heavy 4x4 use...I'm ok with winging it because this thing is never going to be more than a daily driver for me. If it's some drastic difference in the system that requires more fluid or it will burn up regardless of use...I guess I'm willing to entertain the idea of buying another pan and waiting til it shows up or til I find one.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
whoa, are the ****** sigs being banned? Didn't know that was against the rules but if it's a problem I'll take it down.

Larry's shee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It's about a quart difference in capacity. If it were me I'd look for one at the bone yard or put ad on C.L. JMHO, your results may vary.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I've got a source where I can get one for $35, but I won't be able to get it until next week and I was hoping to be able to get it running again this weekend.

What happened was I bought a filter/gasket from autozone because mine was leaking and I could see the damage to the pan from the outside. AutoZone sold me the shallow filter by mistake and I bought a pan to match the new filter without taking my pan off or looking closely enough at it that I would notice the difference. Once I took the pan off and saw the filter and compared the pans I figured out what was going on...and now I'm stuck with a nice, cleaned up shallow pan with a fresh coat of paint.