•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

alterations for a 302

fpriessnitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 bronco II
when i put in a 302 v8 in an 87' ford bronco II what are my main concerns to alter under the hood? in other words what big changes will have to made to acquire the larger engine? i guess wheel wells and anything else ect. just trying to get all the info i can. thanks.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
check out the tech pages for the run down on this. Welcome!

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
I didn't have to do anything except dent the driver's floorboard near the bottom of the firewall to clear the headers. Used headers for a 72 mustang with no issues other than that.

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Wheel wells need nothing, the heater-A/C box needs to be clearanced to clear the right side valve cover. Your main concern is the longer engine, the width is a non issue, except for the A/C box.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Exactly, width isn't the problem. The heater box is a definite. If you are pretty good you can cut the chunk out, flip it around and plastic weld it back in. I'm good with fiberglass, I used that instead. There is a seam in the trans tunnel that sometimes needs to be pounded over. It's not a bad idea to put the radiator under the core support for extra room.

Matt