•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Another Duraspark question

Acadist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
This may sound silly but.......Does the donor motor you pull the components need to be a 2.8 (I have an '85)? I found a '78 Mustang II with a 4 cylinder, the module looked like the pictures I have seen and it had a 2 barrel carb. The distributer was missing, but would a distributer from a 4 banger work on a 6? I also saw a duraspark module unit in a truck from the same time period but looked different and had a straight six, it had a label that said Duraspark, would that have worked? I felt bad not grabbing it, cars from the late '70s are getting hard to find, but did not want to spend the money if it would not be the right components

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
Yes needs to be a 2.8. I could not find a mustang . So I got every thing new from ebay and amazon. And where you from. I may be able to do a trade with you on all of my parts.

Acadist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Maine's a little far, I'm in Denver. But I appreciate the thought (I do have a FedEx account)

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
If the module has two connectors a 2 and a 4 wire it will work (blue grommet) all you need is the distributor. You can use your carb unitl you get a replacement and use the stock TFI coil.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Be sure and get the harness for the distributor if it is still there be sure and cut the green wire as long as possible.

Acadist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
You can get a rebuilt distributor for a 2.8 Mustang at a parts store. They aren't that expensive and it is rebuilt.

Acadist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Thanks, trying to go cheap as this one is already over budget trying to get it running right with the existing ignition, but will probably bite the bullet and by new. Have been checking and local is cheaper than ebay too.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
If you can get lucky and find a late 70s pinto, capri or mustang II with the 2,8 it will have everything you need if complete. just a heads up

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Oh yea if you have the auto tranny the carb needs the kickdown lever on the throttle shaft.

Acadist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I have a manual, so one less step. Not easy to find that old car though

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Those distributors have jumped up about $20 since I last bought one.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
When I did mine it was around 130 bucks including new wires, module, dizzy, cap rotor and adaptor. Still running the stock coil and ran the stock carb for almost a year until I found a carb.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I run a GM HEI module. When I changed engines to a V8, I used a Duraspark distributor and hooked it back to the same HEI module. It's been great and only cost $15.

KBlaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Can anyone help me get my chassis wires right? I have all of my components in place and can only crank the truck over if I hotwire the solenoid.

Last edited:

KBlaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Below the brake booster. 2 wires are for engine sending units. 2 wires are to the alternator. Red arrow above points to Brown wire with Pink stripe hot start wire. Connector is in bottom right of this picture. Can someone with a 1983 or 1984 let me know where these wires go?

Last edited: