•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Another "what would you pay" question

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Guy has a 91 Explorer, M5OD tranny. It has 135K miles. The motor "leaks a little water." I'd mainly be getting it for the tranny, as my A4LD in my Ranger is about to die. I'm going to assume the leaking water is a head gasket, or a bad head. If I were to get it, I would swap both the motor and tranny, but "rebuild" the motor with new heads and gaskets, valve covers and gaskets, etc. etc. I would also snag the rear axle and keep the front for a back up since my Ranger has the Dana 35 up front as well.

He wants $500. Decent deal?

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I would, but he said he's firm on $500, just because he needs to buy a new auto tranny and they are $500 from a JY.

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
firm doesnt always mean they wont take less, just that they wont take MUCH less. i got my ranger for 3500 and the craigslist ad was 4200 firm. just point out a bunch of sh, err stuff wrong with it, and call his bluff. remember, there are millions of exploders out there so dont get screwed

dangerranger911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
maybe $300

also how long is the trans gunnalast with 135,xxx on it the leaking water could be a bad freeze plug and is a simple fix