•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

any hints on removing transmission

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I've worked on some tightly packaged engine compartments before, namely a Nissan 300ZX, but I don't recall it being this difficult to access the bellhousing bolts. The engine is so close to the firewall, it's hard enough seeing the bolts, much less fitting my arm down there and I'm only a 165 pounder so I've got fairly skinny arms.

Any tips? Vehicle is a '90 Bronco II, 2.9L.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
not sure about a 2.9 BII but my 3.0 ranger i found a reversible gearwrench with an angled head worked good for the tough ones.
Beef

98blownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ranger
Engine Size
drop the tail of the tranny down and long extentions for the upper bolts should take just over an hour to have it ready to drop, then drop it on your chest and hop you can litt if off. I put my knees by the bell housing and hands on the tail shaft area and lift and pull

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
drop the tail of the tranny down and long extentions for the upper bolts should take just over an hour to have it ready to drop, then drop it on your chest and hop you can litt if off. I put my knees by the bell housing and hands on the tail shaft area and lift and pull
so by dropping the tail down you can get all 6 of them from underneath? I had considered that option but i didnt know how far i could let it go without damaging the motor mounts. I'll give that a shot.

I've got 3 of the 6 - two on the very bottom, and one on the top, neither of the middle ones. I got frustrated and installed a stereo instead. At least I've got plenty of work to do on it so if I get tired of one thing I can do something else! :bawling:

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
thanks. looks like i should make some progress tomorrow after work on actually getting this thing running.

as nice as it may sound, the stereo isnt going to get the truck out of my garage on its own power.

last transmission i had out, i had to remove a crossover pipe that went OVER the bellhousing instead of under. once it was out though, getting to the bolts was cake.

Last edited: