•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

AOD/AODE/4R70W experts

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
My 2.9 continues it's decline day by day so I'm getting itchy to tackle this 5.0 swap thing again. Vehicle is 90 Bronco II 4x4

My plan is to use a EEC IV 5.0 HO from a Mustang (don't have the patience to try an OBD II engine from the Explorer).

Overdrive is a must, and I'd like to have an electronic transmission like the AODE or 4R70W because of all the internal upgrades they made to strengthen them over the years. According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AOD_transmission The AODE isn't listed for any 4x4 vehicles, instead all the 4x4s are listed as having a 4R70W.

When I go to Advance Adapters to adapt my 1354 t-case to the transmission, the listing for the part ends with this:

Options

The AODE (4R70W) 4 speed automatic transmission was used starting in 1991 & later. The adapter housing will fit the AODE, however, the output shaft is different in reference to the oiling. Our kits for the l
Nice how it just cuts off at the end before telling me the important stuff, eh? It makes no distinction between AODE and 4R70W, and makes it sound like the adapter is for the hydraulic AOD only due to the output shaft. I don't want to use a full size t-case because of the frame interference issues.

So what this boils down to is two questions:
1) To use my BW 1354 am I stuck with spending a ton of money upgrading a hydraulic AOD due to lack of available adapters for later transmissions?

2) Are the AODE and 4R70W electrically similar enough that a Mustang computer will control both an AODE or a 4R70W?

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Here's some info to go thru. Why not use the full size x-fer case and mating auto?
Dave
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/056/article/Ford_Transmission_Spotters_Guide.html
1. I already have a nice manual shift 1354

2. I was under the impression that the only full size case that bolts up is the NP205 with it's crappy low range.

3. I'm trying to keep fabrication to a minimum since I don't own a welder and will have to bum welding time from friends - which would include fabbing a crossmember to support a 205 if I went that route. An adapter to the 1354 would prevent this along with possibly keeping me from having to modify driveshafts.

If that's really my only option then I guess i dont have a choice but...

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
meh I think I'm just gonna use the NP208 and notch the frame. I had seen where someone was using a 1356 and had to completely cut the bottom lip off the frame and still scoot the drivetrain to the right by 2" or something crazy...didn't want to do that but I think I can handle the 208. Maybe I can sell my manual 1354 to recoup the cost.