•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Auto To Manual Swap

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Ok so my a4ld gave me the finger today and dumped all it fluids on the ground and wont hold fluid anymore. I have an 84 Bronco II with a manual. I have a few questions and if someone could point me in the direction of perhaps a tech writeup or thread showing a auto to manual swap.

How difficult is it to swap over the manual to my 85 Bronco II?

What issues will i run into?

Am i going to need to the use the computer from the 84?

Will the manual bolt up to where the auto was?

Thanks

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
you will need to cut carpet, remove the plate where the shifter has to come through...and change the computer if you dont want your CEL on all the time. some minor wiring with the reverse indicator, and neutral safely switch. other than that it should be a direct bolt up...provided they have the same size engine?

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Also add clutch pedal, brake pedal and master cylinder to the list. If you have both side by side it will be fairly obvious what's needed. I did this to a '88 f-150, I'm thinking the principle will be the same. iirc the clutch pedal and brake pedal will swap into where just the brake pedal now resides [auto brake pedal is wider than manual]. I can't remember what I did with the neutral safety/clutch switch- probably bypassed. Also I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the clutch line from the tranny but I snaked it up there somehow:dunno: There may be other stuff idk.
Richard
edit; link to write up
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/A4LDto5Speed.html

Last edited:

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Well i have a parts car that the manual is in so i can just take the parts off of it and put it on my car.