•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

auto to manual transfer.

schroader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just bought a 88 bronco II. It has the stupid push button 4x4. I want to change it to manual. My question is can I just get on out of a 84---90 bronco or ranger and do a direct bolt up?

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
yup pretty much then cut a hole for the shifter to go through the floor

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
i have one from a 1985 sitting around

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
You get the cleanest install if you can get the t-case out of a similar year truck with the same transmission as yours and get the plastic trim and all for in the cab, then pull up the carpet and grab the metal floor plate off the top of the trans hump.

I couldn't get my hands on the floor plate I needed in time and just trimmed a hole in the floor and used the auto trans t-case shifter I had instead of a manual trans one. Now I have a rag stuffed in the hole in the floor...

wantaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
you might need a new computer

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
What? No... the 4x4 has nothing to do with the computer. All it does is bypass the 4x4 control module.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
yep it will work so long as its rbv (and not to new like 95+) dad did it to his ranger...his had auto hubs and electric tcase...well off those came and the manual stuff came in its place!

the only thing auto in my truck is my tranny and that will be changing soon :D :headbang:

wantaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
What? No... the 4x4 has nothing to do with the computer. All it does is bypass the 4x4 control module.
oh yea? i figured the power that the buttons were using had something to do with the computer like the transmissions, didnt know there was a seperate module for it

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
oh yea? i figured the power that the buttons were using had something to do with the computer like the transmissions, didnt know there was a seperate module for it
The electric shift transfer cases use their own module for the shifting, has nothing to do with the computer for the motor.

Airbag equipped RBVs also have a separate computer for the airbag controls and such, fwiw.

makes for a nice modular design.... now if they'd just make 2wd and 4x4 frames the same......

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Actually for the smoothest installation he specifically needs the T-case
and shifter off of an '88, '89 or early 1990 (produced 11-89 or earlier)

there are atleast a dozen different distinctly identified T-case
shifters used on '82.5-87 Rangers and most of them won't fit.

IF you have an A4LD transmission any T-case/shifter combo off
of another A4LD '85 or later will bolt up without issue.

However because of subtle running changes I strongly recommend you get the pair off the same vehicle.

BTW, the two conductor "wiring harness" for the "4x4" and "Lo Range" lamps is a seperate harness that runs to it's own connector up next to the main harness firewall gromet.

Yes, your dashboard is already wirred for the 4x4 lights as ALL Rangers/Bronco2's are... But your instrument cluster may or may not have the lightbulbs installed in the cluster.

AD